Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
landdawg

My spider lilies are popping up!

landdawg
15 years ago

I am a nut about spider lilies. If you don't have any, you should. You almost forget about them and then boom.

Comments (10)

• mk87
    15 years ago

I LOVE SPIDER LILIES! Ohmigosh, I love them. They are the best...they're like forsythia for me. I know when I see their little red fringe, the hot summer is OV-ER! (Just like when I see forsythia, I know the cold, nasty winter is just about done!) I would dearly love to plant some bulbs, but I never see them for sale around here. It's almost like you have to have moved to a property where somebody's grandmother planted a stand of them ages ago. Like that's the only way you can get them. And, I'm wondering...if I did find bulbs to purchase, do you plant spiderlily bulbs in the spring, for fall blooming? Or would you still plant them in the fall, like with other bulbs (tulips, daffs, etc).

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

Mine are poking up now as well - such a surprise!

mk87, looks like you could buy some on ebay, just look for "Lycoris radiata".

• mk87
    15 years ago

Well, there ya' go. Never thought to try buying them on eBay.

• razorback33
    15 years ago

Touch of Nature has a very good price for the red Lycoris radiata. (They are listed as one of GardenWatchDog's 30 top companies).
    I plan to order some, to establish in another part of the garden.
    Some of my red ones are just starting to bloom, some have finished, as have the white ones. The yellow-flowered ones are a"no-show" so far.
    Another member of the Amaryllis Family are also starting to bloom. The Oxblood Lily (Rhodophiala bifida). They have some foliage present when they bloom.
    Other fall flowers I am still waiting to see, are the Crocus and Sternbergia.
    Cyclamen hederifolium started blooming about 2 weeks ago.
    Rb

Here is a link that might be useful: Touch of Nature - Lycoris

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

Touch of Nature may well be selling ones that are of blooming size - I think some of those cheap ebay ones ($1 each) are small ones that won't be mature enough to bloom next year. Consider that when thinking about where to order some.

One nice feature of Lycoris radiata is the winter foliage. I didn't realize that one of the nicknames is "hurricane lily" based on its appearance during hurricane season.

My cyclamen is blooming also now. It also has nice winter foliage.

• razorback33
    15 years ago

I didn't mention before, but I stopped buying on ebay several years ago. Someone hijacked my account and changed the shipping address for mdse I had ordered. Fortunately, I found it in time and notified the seller of the intended fraud.
    When I notified ebay of the fraud, they accused me of hijacking someone else's account! After I told them in 10000 no uncertain terms what I thought about their total lack of intelligence, concern and service, I closed my account and have NEVER shopped there again. I don't even load their website, because I found it to be a source of hundreds of Spyware attachments.
    TIFWIW
    Rb

• mk87
    15 years ago

RB -- thanks for the tip.

landdawg -- It is so interesting that you brought up spider lilies, because I had JUST seen some and it reminded me that I wanted to try again this year to get some bulbs.

• landdawg
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bought all mine on eBay over the last couple of years. My feedback is over 1000 and I've never had a bad experience. Just always check sellers/buyers feedback.

• amyta
    15 years ago

I bought mine on ebay several years ago from a person called EddieWayne. I believe he's somewhere in the Carolinas and has a great store. He has wonderful feedback. In fact, I've had very good luck with all plants bought on ebay.

• spider_lily
    15 years ago

I'm looking for a few white spider lily bulbs.I have red one's.Does anyone have white one's to trade for red?

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus