Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vroomp

Poison Food Crops

vroomp
13 years ago

I believe I warned you all about Monsanto's Roundup� enhanced corn varieties a few months ago that have been linked to organ failure.

"Three varieties of Monsanto's GM corn - Mon 863, insecticide-producing Mon 810, and Roundup� herbicide-absorbing NK 603 - were approved for consumption by US, European and several other national food safety authorities."

"Effects were mostly concentrated in kidney and liver function, the two major diet detoxification organs, but in detail differed with each GM type. In addition, some effects on heart, adrenal, spleen and blood cells were also frequently noted. As there normally exists sex differences in liver and kidney metabolism, the highly statistically significant disturbances in the function of these organs, seen between male and female rats, cannot be dismissed as biologically insignificant as has been proposed by others. We therefore conclude that our data strongly suggests that these GM maize varieties induce a state of hepatorenal toxicity....These substances have never before been an integral part of the human or animal diet and therefore their health consequences for those who consume them, especially over long time periods are currently unknown."

You may now add Soy beans to that list. Monsanto's Soy is also genetically enhanced with Roundup�. If you like eating this poison disregard this post. Yummy Glyphosate!

Comments (19)

• Iris GW
    13 years ago

I'm not sure what you're suggesting people should do:

1) don't grow these foods
    2) even if you don't grow them, don't eat them

So either way, the question is: how do you identify these foods either as a seed source or as food in the store? Are the seeds labeled and is the food in the store labeled?

• jenmat
    13 years ago

Can't help too much with the veggies. They don't have to label it. If it is organic or says Non-GMO it is usually safe.

Fruit is easy. The stickers tell you. Organic produce is denoted by a five-digit number whose first digit is 9; an 8 prefix indicates genetically modified food.

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

It is very difficult to find both ungenetically modified soy and corn, I think that is what Vroomp is trying to tell you. We quit eating non-fermented soy foods some time ago because frankly, they aren't that good for you (modified or not). Corn is more difficult because it's mono-cropped and is a huge part of the food chain - it's in all animal feeds.
    I'll be interested what, if anything can be done about proven problems with GMO's - my fear is that Monsanto has already bought themselves out of any culpability or will go and fight tooth and nail, throwing every cent they have at anyone who attempts to legally challenge them. They have a lot of money....

• bagsmom
    13 years ago

This is interesting... and scary! The first thing I thought of, after reading, is something probably not related at all.... But it does make you stop and think. I know 3 people in Iowa (2 are relatives) who have had kidneys removed in the last 5 years.
    Again -- probably more of a genetic problem in the family than anything. Just because Iowa grows a lot of corn, that doesn't mean it has ANYTHING to do with that... but I have heard of quite a few people with kidney cancer and general kidney trouble... certainly more than in the past.
    I HOPE it has nothing to do with the corn.

• vroomp
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The problem is that the majority of these corn varieties are produced for cattle feed and they store the glyphosate in their fatty tissue which we then ingest.

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

Vroomp is correct. Almost no wheat or corn products in North America are free from roundup ready genes now. It is really sad and it is also frightening that the US government would allow this to happen.
    The US Government is also going to allow genetic modification of fish crops - starting with growth inducing hormones.

Growing and controlling what you eat is beginning to become more important now than it has been in the last 100 years!

• lrvjim
    13 years ago

I'm not a big fan of Monsanto and Roundup, or GMO foods. That said, if you're going to post info like this-

I believe I warned you all about Monsanto's Roundup� enhanced corn varieties a few months ago that have been linked to organ failure...

and this..

The problem is that the majority of these corn varieties are produced for cattle feed and they store the glyphosate in their fatty tissue which we then ingest.

you should post links to the sources of this info.

If what you say is true, I want to know about it. But given that Roundup is one of the most widely used (unfortunately ?) and studied herbicides ever marketed, you risk sounding like a crackpot with an axe to grind if you don't provide some links to support your claims.

...You may now add Soy beans to that list. Monsanto's Soy is also genetically enhanced with Roundup�. If you like eating this poison disregard this post.

Soy was the FIRST Roundup Ready crop, corn came later. And I don't like eating poison.

Here is a link that might be useful: Roundup Ready

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

"If what you say is true, I want to know about it. But given that Roundup is one of the most widely used (unfortunately ?) and studied herbicides ever marketed, you risk sounding like a crackpot with an axe to grind if you don't provide some links to support your claims."

I couldn't agree more! I worry about multiple Monsanto-related issues and the massive-scale use of glyphosate, but too many Monsanto/glyphosate opponents abandon science and reason when expressing opposition.

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

Why, when it comes to points like this does nobody realize that it was up to Monsanto in the first place to prove that their products would not be of harm to anyone before unleashing them on the public?
    Why has our world become so upside down, backwards, and ready to accept everything they hear from giant corporations as the truth and asks others to prove things?

Roundup has been studied. Yes, it surely has and false claims abounded about it until only very recently (not harmful to fish, mitigated as soon as it hits soil) - but GMO foods and round up ready products were not studied as extensively before being released.

You can certainly believe what you want, you are of course free to do that. I applaud Vroomp for beginning to question the way things are beginning to work in this world (and have been working for some time). Frankly, I think people sound like robots when they make statements like "but too many Monsanto/glyphosate opponents abandon science and reason when expressing opposition."

• vroomp
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I apologize for not posting a link to my sources but, they are easily obtained through a search engine like Google. I figure if you wish to have more information you would research it for yourself. The problem was that the study on the soy has just come to light. I found out about the corn problem almost a year ago and researched it before posting any remarks because, I don't like to spread misinformation. After all, I am no republican nor am I affiliated with Fox news. That's their job!

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

GGG,

Frankly, I think people who make statements like yours sound like maybe they are a little afraid of what a reasonable approach might turn up. Touchy-feely, the-world-is-out-to-get-me is fine, but it doesn't do much to persuade reasonable people of any danger. You can feel like Monsanto, or whoever, is doing you (or the world) wrong until you turn green, but that does nothing to change the situation. Questioning is good, making accusations without backup or worrying about something you (and I'm not referring to Vroomp, here, BTW) don't even really understand is not.

Vroomp,

If you're really concerned about some aspect of the topic, make a clear concise argument for your point. Many many people feel GMO food and related herbicides, that are currently approved for use, are completely safe. Some think the whole food system is on the verge of collapse. Still others are somewhere in between and might even be looking for answers. Obviously, many people have reviewed the available information and made conclusions different than yours, or things wouldn't be as they are now. So, it's not as simple as just looking the information up on a search engine.

It's kind of like if you went to a crowded theater and saw an electrical problem that could result in a short. You could stand up and shout "FIRE!!!" Some people might run for the door, but most would just look around, see nothing, and think you were a nut or just kidding around. A more sensible way to address such a situation is to calmly bring your case up with some type of convincing argument that a danger truly existed. Staying quite and ignoring the short wouldn't make it go away, but yelling "FIRE!" doesn't solve the problem either.

Finally, I don't mean to be so preachy about how you should make your point. But I figured I better explain my point a little more after GGG decided to attack.

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

Lots of people are yelling fire. Many people are just content to get burned.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

And then there's some that just yell "FIRE!" to have something to yell about (who's looking for attention here?), and get all upset when someone wants to know where the fire is.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

Hmmmm, a comment between my post and the one directly above has been removed. Now mine is slightly out of context. Oh well, the point is still valid; without the proper application of reason and science no one can be sure there is any need for concern about this subject. Yelling "FIRE!" only convinces the other people that are yelling "FIRE!". Everyone else just wants them to point out the fire or let the movie continue.

• bagsmom
    13 years ago

Guys and gals - Please let's not have an arguing sort of forum. The peaceful and pleasant exchange of information is the reason I joined. I'm sure there are other places for a more heated debate sort of back-and-forth. I know some personalities out there really enjoy it. Not me. I like hearing everyone's thoughts and ideas about gardening. If I want to know more, I will research it.

But this has the potential to get nasty. I've read (thankfully) only a few other threads on this forum in which people MUST have the last word and MUST be right.

It starts to sound like Junior High. And I am quite sure we are all well beyond that stage.

Just sayin'.

• jay_7bsc
    13 years ago

Dear vroomp z7GA:
    That is certainly a catchy screen name; however, comments like the following

After all, I am no republican nor am I affiliated with Fox news. That's their job!

do nothing but weaken your argument because they are insulting to some readers' political point-of-view and, obviously, have no relation to the point you're trying to make. Disclaimer: I'm neither Republican nor Democrat, preferring to vote for the candidate based upon his/her merits rather than his/her party affiliation. ("You call it corn; I call it maize.")

• lrvjim
    13 years ago

So what Vroomp quoted was from a 90 day study conducted in 2009; here is the link-

'French Study'

Here are additional comments from the researchers who conducted the study-

The experiments clearly need to be repeated preferably
    with more than one species of animal. Secondly,
    the length of feeding was at most only three months,
    and thus only relatively acute and medium-term effects
    can be observed if any similar to what can be
    derived in a process such as carcinogenesis [19, 20] or
    after endocrine disruption in adults [21]. Proof of
    toxicity is hard to decide on the basis of these conditions.

Here is what Marion Nestle, whose opinions on food and politics I value, had to say about the study-

I found the paper extremely difficult to read, in part because it is written in exceptionally dense and opaque language, and in part because it presents the data in especially complicated tables and figures. I must confess to giving up trying to make sense of it and will simply present its conclusion

A little background on Ms. Nestle-

Marion Nestle

The problem with the many studies of Roundup that have been done is that they are undertaken to further a political agenda, not one of health and science and least of all, gardening.

JIM

• vroomp
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I guess that was a bit rude of me to insert a complaint about Fox and republicans(although I was meaning politicans) but, it was so hard to resist I couldn't stop myself.(by the way, I consider democratic politicians to be as corrupt) To any Fox news watchers, I apologize.

Getting back on the subject though, I found this interesting tidbit you may be interested in.

by Deborah B. Whitman

How prevalent are GM crops?

What plants are involved?

According to the FDA and the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), there are over 40 plant varieties that have completed all of the federal requirements for commercialization (http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/%7Elrd/biocon). Some examples of these plants include tomatoes and cantalopes that have modified ripening characteristics, soybeans and sugarbeets that are resistant to herbicides, and corn and cotton plants with increased resistance to insect pests. Not all these products are available in supermarkets yet; however, the prevalence of GM foods in U.S. grocery stores is more widespread than is commonly thought. While there are very, very few genetically-modified whole fruits and vegetables available on produce stands, highly processed foods, such as vegetable oils or breakfast cereals, most likely contain some tiny percentage of genetically-modified ingredients because the raw ingredients have been pooled into one processing stream from many different sources. Also, the ubiquity of soybean derivatives as food additives in the modern American diet virtually ensures that all U.S. consumers have been exposed to GM food products.

Hope that last line makes you all feel better.

• frannyflowers
    13 years ago

This post saddens me. I suffered with severe headaches and nausea for years and only recently found it was due to a sensitivity to food additives (all forms of MSG such as hydrolyzed vegetable protein, soy protein isolate, yeast extract, etc.) I've had to give up eating most processed foods and rely on whole foods... fresh fruits, veggies, meat, rice, etc. I have to read labels to ensure there's no MSG in any processed foods I buy. And as soon as you know all the names they hide MSG under, the food manufacturers come up with a new way to hide it. I wonder how many people are suffering from the same symptoms I did but have not made the connection. There are estimates that up to 50% of those suffering from CFS and other autoimmune disorders are affected by these chemically engineered food additives. And who knows how the GMO's are going to affect people.

I don't believe it's a conspiracy to intentionally poison us but I do believe it's about profits above all else. Very sad.

Thank you vroomp for your post and for shining a light on this important subject.

Sponsored