Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
atrox_gw

Native shade plant recommendations

atrox
9 years ago

I live just north of Atlanta and am looking for recommendations for native pants (small shrubs, herbs, ferns, evergreen preferred) that can take shade and clay soil (and are available at some nurseries). I have an area along a fence that won't grow grass because of the shade.
Thanks!

Comments (7)

• Iris GW
    9 years ago

Well this weekend you can get plants at small sales from reputable small growers. There is a great list just for shade perennials.

And no, I don't work for them but I have bought many plants from them in the past.

There is also a sale in Gainesville.

Here is a link that might be useful: List for sale in Roswell on Friday and Saturday

• atrox
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the list!

• junco East Georgia zone 8a
    9 years ago

Euonymus americanus, also known as 'Hearts-a-bustin' is a wonderful shade shrub in my garden. It is about 8' tall after 10 years with a very open, weeping habit. Inconspicuous spring flowers turn into beautiful red fall fruit that give it the common name. Very eye-catching.
    The shrubs listed in the link posted by esh aren't separated by sun and shade, but many of them would do well if you have dappled light in the area you are planning for. I like Oak-leaf hydrangea, Titi, Virginia sweetspire, Summersweet. Native azaleas will do well with a little more sun. All of these are deciduous. The various anise and sweet olives are evergreen.
    Good luck, and have fun. I wish I could make it to the sale in Roswell. I've bought good native plants at the Botanical Garden in Athens.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Iris GW
    9 years ago

The native plant sale at the Botanical Garden in Athens is also coming up - Oct 1-4 and again Oct 8-11. It will be bigger this year than ever.

• raptor1
    9 years ago

a plant that grows well in my garden and shady areas and spreads well is Annabelle hydrangea and truly is a pass along plant in my garden due to it's growth habit. I cut them down to the ground each year and they spread very well almost TOO well BUT I love the huge white flower heads in the spring.

• railroadrabbit
    9 years ago

You may find some help here:

http://gnps.org/plantsale/Plant_Sale_15/Plant_Sale_Flyer.pdf

Georgia Native Plant Society 2015 Annual Spring Plant Sale
    Saturday, April 18
    10 a.m.-2 p.m.
    McFarlane Nature Park
    280 Farm Road SE, Marietta, GA 30067

(Use Winged Foot Cir entrance. Follow signs from Paper Mill Rd.)

Select from thousands of sun and shade loving native plants: trees, shrubs, perennials and ferns for all growing conditions and to help attract wildlife.

Knowledgeable volunteers to assist in making your selections.

• railroadrabbit
    9 years ago

Also, I don't think the Autumn Fern is native to GA, but I have had very good luck with it, even in heavy shade under a large oak. It is evergreen, and has a bronze cast on the foliage in Fall. Mine grows about 12in. to 18 in. I mulch around it to keep soil moist, and water it during drought. It has survived neglect when many of my other ferns died.

Sponsored