Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bmmalone

got myself a reel mower!

bmmalone
15 years ago

got myself a reel mower yesterday. Waited till this morning to try it out. Believe me at 8am this morning it was cool out there. Have mowed half my lawn - with very little effort. It looks great. Now it is heating up and the sun in on the lawn, so the other half will have to wait till this evening or tomorrow morning. The best things about this are: I paid $10 at a garage sale for it; the blades are sharp ( I will get them sharpened again at the beginning of next season); no gas; no noise. I'm hooked!

Comments (8)

• bobbygil
    15 years ago

Do you know how much it costs to get it sharpened? I have a reel small lawn and dont mind buying a nice new one but when i heard it was $70.00 to sharpen it I backed out. If it doesnt cost that much and if can find out if they are adjustable in heights I think I'll get one also.

• rjinga
    15 years ago

I had been looking for one too and I missed out on a great deal through a local yahoo advertising site, then I posted a wanted on craigslist and someone responded!!! I went to see it, and it was a dinasaur!! but it was so unique I could not resist it. Paid $20 and it's a relic, but it works (the grass in the area around my GH is too tall for it now, but once groomed, this one should work GREAT for maintenance).

I sure hope so, if not I"ll keep looking for a modern day one ($10 garage sale, gotta love it)

• pandorasgardens
    15 years ago

I've had mine about a year and a half and I love it also. The only time I've used a gas mower since then has been to mulch leaves last fall. I haven't actually had to sharpen mine yet, but you can get a sharpening kit for them. I'll let you know how it goes when I finally have to sharpen it... could be a while since it only takes me about 10 minutes to actually mow my lawn.

• razorback33
    15 years ago

Great exercise machine!
    Sharpening the blades is fairly simple. Only a minimum amount of mechanical knowledge is necessary and the sharpening kit comes with complete instructions, plus the necessities, grinding compound, an applicator brush and a manual crank(to turn the blades backward). You can avoid the manual exertion of turning by hand and use a variable speed electric or cordless drill, equipped with a deep-well socket, instead.
    The kit costs about $15 from amazon.com (the cheapest source) and with an order of $25 or more, shipping is free.
    I doubt that you will need to sharpen the blades every year, unless you use the mower every day!
    Before putting the mower away for the winter, I would clean the blades (and the rest of the mower) and apply a thin coat of oil or grease to the blades with a cloth or brush, to prevent rust buildup on them. Lubricate any other moving parts also. Come spring and grass clipping time, wipe the blades clean with a cloth and you are good to go!
    Have fun!
    Rb

• rainbowcharmer
    15 years ago

I'm with you on the reel mower! :)

We've used them for the last 5 years and love them! We bought a sharpening kit like RB is talking about, and sharpened blades for the first time last summer on our oldest reel mower. Worked really well and the difference was amazing in the cut! Should have done it earlier, but since it was still cutting OK we had let it go.

I won't go back to gas/electric if I can help it! Can't see why I'd need to anyhow. Even with the big yard we have at this house at the moment, the reel mower still gets things done within an hour. Can't argue that!

Glad to see more people jumping on the reel mower wagon! :D

• bobbygil
    15 years ago

Are most of the adjustable? I dont like keeping my lawn real low...thanks

• llorente
    15 years ago

I've heard that reel mowers don't work as well with bermuda lawns. Does anyone have experience with this? I'm interested in getting one, but I want to make sure it will work.

• bloominganne
    15 years ago

My DH got recently bought one too. I like it because I can mow the small backyard grass myself. And I can mow at any time without feeling like I'm disturbing the neighbors - like early Sunday morning. Ours is adjustable and I believe it's made by Scott's. No gas to have around the garage and no trying to start the thing by pulling that cord that sometimes wouldn't work until several hard pulls. Love it.