Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about garden tools

Posted by gmom74 z7 Ga (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 22, 09 at 9:31

I was cleaning up a flower bed where there had been poison ivy- thought I had gotten rid of it but my arms now say differently. The clippers, rake, my 'claw' (don't know what else to call it), and a couple of other things. Would you wash them in soapy water or use alcohol? I know they would have to be dried and oiled. I don't even want to touch them again. Thanks for advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about garden tools

I believe that the Poison Ivy active ingredient is an oil, so I would (usiing gloves) wash items with a detergent (Dawn?), rinse and dry well.

o

Probably a degreaser type cleaner is better to get rid of oils of any kind.
The amount of poisonous oil is not that much. It is our system that react to it. Some of us are more allergic than others.
cyrus

o

I always use rubbing alcohol. This even works when I accidentally touch it outside, as long as I rub the alcohol on within 10 minutes of touching it. I actually keep a huge bottle in my garden bag for that purpose. I know it works because I've grabbed handfulls and had it in my hand. I throw it in a bag and tie it shut. Then I poor the alcohol on really good. Works like a charm!

o

Well, I don't think I'll be pulling the stuff with my hands but having alcohol to clean the tools with immediately appeals to me. Thanks for the idea.

o

You're welcome! I never intentionally pick it up with my hands, but it somehow seems to hide from me until it's too late!

o

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 8, 09 at 14:01

After a short period of time, the urushiol dries and chemically attaches itself to whatever it's on. Urushiol is similar to many varnishes, and is sometimes used as a varnish. Cleaning with detergent or degreaser may not remove much of the it, and, depending on your degree of allergicness, you may still experience problems. There are chemicals available at the drug store that more effectively remove this stuff.

o
RE: Question about garden tools .. P.S.

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 8, 09 at 14:03

sorry....please remove the extra "the" before the "it" in my third sentence.

o

Found the information in this link very informative, especially the step of applying isopropyl alcohol before washing with soap.

Rosie, Sugar Hill

Here is a link that might be useful: steps for removing urushiol

o

I keep a spray bottle of alcohol in my tool shed. Use it on the tools when I've been working with plants that have fungus, etc. on my hands, gloves, what ever I feel could spread a disease to other plants.
cora

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here