Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
celeste_gw

Ipomoea (moonflower vine)

celeste
11 years ago

Has anyone successfully overwintered a moonflower vine here in Georgia by bringing it inside in a pot?

Comments (17)

• rosiew
    11 years ago

Celeste, don't know if it could be overwintered. Certainly worth a try. I grow from seed every year. Love this vine!

• neptune25
    11 years ago

I tried that a couple of years ago, but the vine died. In fact, I have never successfully transplanted a moonflower, small or large. Lots of people say you can transplant them, but I have never succeeded. Give it a shot, Celeste, but be please very careful digging up those roots.

I have planted moonflowers the past several years. Last year was the first time I ever got flowers, which appeared in August. This year, they seem to be peaking in September. I actually had 5 moonflowers open up last night! The most I ever had in one night last year was 2. I was thrilled. Probably the difference is that I planted the seeds in full sun this time.

Actually, I was wondering--should you pinch off the spent flowers to keep the blooms coming? Anybody know?

• rosiew
    11 years ago

No need to deadhead, neptune.

Agree that these thrive in full sun. Had to yank a volunteer from a tiny fountain bed - it was clambering over everything and had over 20 blooms one night. Killed me to pull it. My others are setting seed now. Wait as long as possible to collect.

• neptune25
    11 years ago

Thanks, rosiew. Sorry you had to get rid of that one vine.

• bmmalone
    11 years ago

Guess I must have been lucky. Covered my vine with pinestraw last winter and it came back this year!

• celeste
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Finally, blooms; so, I'll have seeds for next year. I just can't imagine why it took so long for it to get going this year. bmmalone, are you in the Atlanta area or further south? Just trying to figure out if yours came back or maybe it was from a seed that the vine dropped.

• rosiew
    11 years ago

Guessing here that bmmalone's plant was from a seed that dropped. It would be cool though IF we could protect the root system and get plants the next year.

I had none return from last year, but did have a couple of volunteers - both in the wrong place - argghhh. I am going to try them next year where I can see them from the house.

Rosie, in Sugar Hill

• bmmalone
    11 years ago

I have to be honest, I don't know if they came back, or seed was dropped and that is what has grown. It looks spectacular climbing up and over the gazebo frame that I have. I use the area for vegetables - putting netting round the sides and over the top of the gazebo. The netting has certainly stopped the bunnies and chipmunks and deer from feasting on my vegetables, and the climbing vines look wonderful

• rosiew
    11 years ago

bmalone, just happy you have it and are enjoying it as much as I do mine. I'm trying to find something I can grow one on in my hillside garden which is what I see the best from the house and patio.

Rosie

• rosiew
    11 years ago

I went out this morning between rains with one of those meshy bags that grapes and stuff come in. Cut into 4 pieces and secured around clusters of ripening seed heads. Secure with twist ties, like from bread. Hopefully these still contain the seeds if they burst open and I've forgotten to check!

• neptune25
    11 years ago

Ever since October hit, my moonflowers have been a bust. There are a ton of blossoms, but they never really open anymore. Is it because of colder weather, I guess?

• rosiew
    11 years ago

neptune, what you are seeing now is the seed pods developing!

I'm watching mine. Only two have 'dried' - collected four seeds from each. They're taking their good time - I've already promised the seeds I've gotten. Keep an eye on them. They will turn brownish, maybe show a small crack top to bottom. Harvest them then.

• neptune25
    11 years ago

rosiew, so when the seed pods develop, the flowers run out of gas? So it seems that deadheading does make sense then if one wants the flowers to continue.

OK, I'll be patient concerning the seeds. Hopefully the frost doesn't come too soon. :)

• rosiew
    11 years ago

The flowering season here is OVER for moonvine. The flowers will not continue.

• neptune25
    11 years ago

Is cold weather the deciding factor that ends the flowering? It just seems so odd that the flowers form but never open up--at least in my case.

• neptune25
    11 years ago

I had a couple of moonflowers open in the past few days. I guess they were enjoying the warmer weather. :)

• rosiew
    11 years ago

Let me jump in and correct my statement above. Moon vine season was OVER here, in my yard, not the whole country.

What was I thinking? Sorry.

My other seedpods aren't changing color, drying, whatever it's called, just sitting there - same appearance for several weeks.

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County