Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vroomp

Not Even Safe to Garden?

vroomp
13 years ago

Gardeners on alert after man catches Legionnaires' disease from compostBy Daily Mail Reporter

Last updated at 1:14 PM on 3rd September 2010

Comments (2) Add to My Stories

Hidden dangers: Doctors have warned that compost could carry Legionnaires' bugs

Gardeners have been warned today about the hidden dangers of compost after a pensioner was infected with Legionnaires' disease after handling it.

The 67-year-old man ended up in intensive care after being infected through a cut on his hand which he got while using a trowel.

Doctors urged for precautions to be taken and said medics should be aware so conditions could be quickly diagnosed after the 'rare' incident, they wrote in medical journal The Lancet.

The 'keen gardener', who has now fully recovered, was described as previously fit and healthy before being struck down by a serious fever in March.

He experienced eight days of trembling, confusion, lethargy and shortness of breath before seeing doctors in the Royal Alexandra Hospital in Paisley, central Scotland, who diagnosed the condition.

He also had a high temperature and an X-ray revealed signs of pneumonia in his left lung.

Doctors carried out an invasive procedure - where the lung is washed out to obtain a sample - which identified Legionella longbeachae, a rare form of Legionnaires' disease which cannot be detected through normal tests.

It is normally caused by the bug Legionella pneumophili, which lives naturally in rivers, lakes, and reservoirs, and can also be found in man-made structures containing water such as air conditioning systems.

Legionella longbeachae is a less common and is mostly found in soil and potting compost.

In the UK, just nine cases have been reported since 1984.

The infections are much more common in Australia, New Zealand and Japan, where it accounts for about 30 per cent of all cases of Legionnaires' disease.

Dr Simon Patten and colleagues from the Royal Alexandra Hospital, Paisley, Scotland, wrote: 'I think doctors and gardeners need to be aware of this. The risk may be low, but precautions can be taken.

'We treated our patient with oxygen, intravenous fluids and antibiotics, but his respiratory function deteriorated, necessitating transfer to the intensive care unit for intubation.

'When we questioned the patient to find out the source of this infection, we discovered that he was a keen gardener and had lacerated his left index finger two days before the onset of his symptoms, while planting with compost.

'We presumed that this cut was the site of entry of the organism.'

In the report, the doctors added: 'The UK Royal Horticultural Society has issued warnings about the risk of contracting Legionnaires' disease from handling compost and has announced that bags of potting compost will carry cautionary statements

Comments (4)

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

It's ridiculous to label bags just because ONE person POSSIBLY got a disease from compost. Your post makes it clear they only think that because the man said he was planting with compost. Did they check the said compost?

My Dad did get a soil born blood infection from his compost once. It almost killed him, however it never did stop him from making the most delicious compost ever. He was a bit freaky about that stuff. We simply put a pair of gloves on a hook on the wall beside his compost bin when he got back to garden work. Never had a problem again after that. The infection had gotten into his blood through his cuticles.

• sweetmelon
    13 years ago

What GGG said plus you have to consider what Daily Mail is to put things into some perspective. From what I understand it's more of a National Enquirer type thing over in the UK, meaning the revenue trumps the truth/objectiveness in reporting all day every day. Not that that doesn't apply to all other "traditional" media to one degree or another...

• User
    13 years ago

While I suspect you're right about putting the Daily Mail into the proper perspective, I do appreciate this reminder about the need to wear gloves. With all the little cuts and nicks I get on my hands, I've been fortunate not to have an infection so far. Thanks for posting, Vroomp.

• vroomp
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I realize this wasn;t the most reputable news source but, it was the most informative article about this case.

Other problems you may have with compost:
    Diseases Contracted From Handling Compost
    Compost can be a breeding ground for dangerous pathogens, some of which have killed or seriously harmed unsuspecting gardeners. Inspectors should familiarize themselves with these illnesses, some of which can be contracted in other parts of the house. Listed below are some of the more common physical ailments that can result from unprotected contact with compost:
    Aspergillosis is a fungal infection of the lungs that is caused after the inhalation of a fungus commonly found in rotting plant matter. While normally not life-threatening, aspergillosis can be extremely dangerous if enough spores are inhaled. The disease killed a 47-year-old British man after he was engulfed in clouds of dust from the compost he had intended to use in his garden.
    The symptoms of Farmer's Lung resemble pneumonia, and may result from respiratory exposure to certain fungal and bacterial pathogens present in rotting organic materials, such as mushrooms, hay and sugar cane. Beware of dusty white patches, as they are a sign that dangerous spores are present. FarmerÂs Lung can usually be treated with antibiotics.
    Histoplasmosis is caused by fungus that grows in guano and bird droppings. Healthy immune systems can usually fight off histoplasmosis, although infections can become serious if large amounts of the toxin are inhaled, or if the infected person has a weakened immune system.
    LegionnaireÂs Disease is a respiratory infection that's caused by the inhalation of L. Longbeachae.
    Paronychia is a local infection that occurs in the tissue around the fingernails and toenails. Prolonged moisture and the abrasive effects of soil can create openings in the skin that allow the infection to occur, producing pain and throbbing.
    Tetanus is a disease of the central nervous system that's caused by bacteria that is very common in soil. While even a minor cut can allow the bacteria to enter the bloodstream, immunizations against tetanus are quite common.

Contamination
    ÂWhile much organic material is suitable for compost piles, there is other material which should never be added to your compost. Materials such as meat, feces from dogs, pigs, or humans, cheese, oil, eggs (egg shells are okay), are not suitable for compost and can result in contamination of your garden and the fruits and vegetables you harvest from it.

Read more: Health Hazards With Compost Piles : eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_6740462_health-hazards-compost-piles.html#ixzz0zVUDfshv