Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant I. D. What id this?

Posted by woody_ga 7a GA (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 5, 10 at 10:02

I see this blooming on the side of the road. Is it a weed or a nice native? I can see that it is a vine, but I don't recognize it. What is this?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant I. D. What id this?

Non-native Sweet Autumn Clematis or Clematis terniflora from Japan. Invasive exotic in Georgia.

o

Well, that would explain what I'm seeing it everywhere. Thanks!

o

At least this one smells good!

o

Extremely invasive in my yard. One of the most hated plants in our yard. I'm sorry it ever got started.

o

Yes, I have a friend in Marietta that has it - it keeps popping up in new places, it's not just spreading from the single place that she planted it.

o

Since I started the thread I found it in my yard. I've never seen it bloom until this year because I pull it whenever I see it.

It's a shame something so pretty is such a problem.

o

It's a shame something so pretty is such a problem.

That's what Lindsay Lohan's parents keep saying .... (grin)

o

hahaha esh! I'm happy I read this b/c I was going to get one for my side fence. I also wish that japanese honeysuckle and chinese wisteria were not invasive.

o

Really the native version - Clematis virginiana is almost every bit as rambunctious. Plus there are other good native vines to consider.

o

Interesting! I have two came up this year... with my memory gone (lol), I couldn't remember if I planted them last year.
They are so pretty though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here