Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it too late to start collard greens from seed?

Posted by frannyflowers 7b Marietta, GA (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 27, 10 at 11:05

I was waiting for it to cool down a bit before starting my seeds but now it seems it went from 90's to 70's overnight. Is it too cool/too late to start collards from seed at this point? Also can I plant any other crops at this point to harvest over the winter. I have a frost blanket that I use when it drops below freezing.

Thanks for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it too late to start collard greens from seed?

Not sure about collards from seed, I started mine a long time back and put them on the ground 2 weeks ago (probably too early).
You can still start carrots, beets, lettuce for sure. I also think Kale and swiss chard would be ok, but I start those inside and transplant.
Hope some others chime in as I am still trying to figure out timing for fall crops. It is so hard with our swings of cool and hot weather at this time of the year :-)

o

Probably too late for them to get any size, before they bolt in late winter. However, plenty of time to set plants which should be readily available at local nurseries. Still time for kale, mustard, turnips, spinach, radishes etc from seed. Don't grow chard so I can't answer for that one.

o

I think it's to late for collards from seed. I usually sow collard seed the 2nd week in August. This works OK, as long as you can water during the dry spells. Starting early, they should last through the winter and early spring, although they do toughen up a little bit.

o

Thanks everyone for your helpful posts. I think I'll go ahead and pick up collard plants for this year and will try to remember to get the seeds started in August next year. I'll also try to start some carrot, beet, lettuce, kale, mustard, turnip and radish from seed and see how they do.

Thanks again! :)

o

I have Georgia Collard Greens that I brought from Walmart & I have some that I planted from seeds. I picked up the ones from Walmart in early september & I sowed the seeds around the same time. The seeds are going in the garage for the winter garden.. The Collards I planted last year survived the snow & is still growing. they slowed down in the summer but they are starting to pick up again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here