Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cobb County Compost

Posted by nyc_sod z6 NY (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 20, 07 at 11:19

Anyone ever pick up free compost from the Cobb County Compost facility?

How was the quality of the compost?
How did you load the compost?

Thanks!
T

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cobb County Compost

Yes, I have used quite a bit of it. The quality is very good, its fine compost that has been sifted, although you will find the occasional tiny piece of plastic. I does has a mild, but not overpowering manure odor that dissipates within a day or two.

You must load yourself. I used a shovel and heavy-duty lawn bags and loaded the bags in the trunk of my Honda Accord.....and its a dusty job. Many people simply back their pickup to the pile and start shoveling.

Most importantly....ITS FREE....ALL U CAN HAUL!!!! and you can make multiple trips.

o

I had read somewhere that you have to be a resident of Cobb Co. to access the compost. Is that true? Do they require proof?

o

I've been interested in that compost too - but I'm concerned about soil-borne pathogens. I tried one time to figure out how they 'compost' it - but no luck. Is it foolish to be worried about viruses, nematodes, etc in the compost?

o

Yes, your "suppose" to be a resident of Cobb County, however, they NEVER check. In fact, you don't even have to ask/check-in, you simply pull up to the pile and start loading. Only commercial landscapers have to check in because the use large equipment to load huge truck with the compost and they have to pay for it.

LOL....viruses, nematodes...don't be silly....check out http://solidwaste.cobbcountyga.gov/compost.htm

o

I went to pick up some free compost this past weekend and here are my thoughts.

The pile that looked most like finished compost had an overpowering smell of manure. In addition to the smell the swarm of flies confirmed that this pile was still had a way to go. There was no way I was going to pile any of this in my truck.

There were two smaller piles but these piles had very large chunks of wood. I would not consider this compost maybe a poor quality mulch at best.

YMMV

Tom

o

Where is this composting place?

o

Probably the compost is stil raw and perhaps they have added manure to it to speed up the process. But that shouldn't be a big problem if you are loading into a pick up truck.
Bring it home, dump it in full sun, spread it a little, and mayb turn it over once or twice. This will help to get rid of the smell and also destroy some fungi and other bugs etc.

Can somebody tell us what the address is?
Thanks

o

Google is your friend! You can find anything there!! See link below

Here is a link that might be useful: Cobb County Compost facilitly page

o

Thanks for the link.

As I gather, what they have is garbage not compost made from leaves, garden clippings etc. In addition to residential garbage they also add sewer sluge. Yak!

I am not an organic freak but I won't put processed garbage in my vegetable garden.

o

I do not use our county compost in my veggie garden either. Sometimes I find pieces of ground up plastic bags and stuff. Good stuff for areas you don't eat out of!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here