Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it to late to start broccoli from seed?

Posted by hnycrk 8a (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 7, 12 at 11:33

Hello I live in zone 8 and would like to start the following from seed. Broccoli, Spinach, Cabbage and Collards. Were still having some pretty warm temps. Do y'all think I'll be ok or should I buy transplants?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it to late to start broccoli from seed?

Hey, judging by your zone, you should definitely be able to start cabbage and spinach (I just direct seeded some bok choy cabbage today). I would go with something like broccoli raab rapini for the broccoli. Rapini is delicious with edible flowers, leaves, and stems and matures in about 45 days-that way your broccoli will avoid the freeze unlike other broccoli types. Collards take a long time to mature, so I don't know if those would make it past the coming cold temps. You could always try it though....?
p.s. Botanical Interests sells heirloom broccoli raab that is supposed to do very well in zone 7 and 8.

o
RE: Is it to late to start broccoli from seed?

This response is too late to help you this year but incase you wish to try boccoli next year, here is my experiences:

I bought broccoli transplants (Pac Man) from Pike's nursery. I planted them on Sept 1. I havested my first 8 broccoli heads on Oct 28. The next 4 heads were harvested on Nov 3, an additional 4 heads on Nov 10. I have 3 heads remaining. I did use shade cloth for a few weeks while we still had high temps and covered them in Tulle to keep out the pests.

I also experimented with planting broccoli and Kholarbi seeds directly in the garden this year. I planted 4 seeds each week. The first ones were planted on Aug 4, 4 more on Aug 11, 4 more on Aug 18, and the final four on Aug 25. None of the broccoli planted from seed outside has formed heads yet. All of the broccoli is now the same size so planting Aug 1 in the heat did not help getting broccoli any earlier. I guess I should have listened to everybody and started my seeds indoors and transplanted them on Sept 1.

Cabbage - I bought "45 day" cabbage transplants from a big box store and planted them on Sept 1. They are all forming heads but they are small, I guess because of the variety.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here