Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tmolinis

Tall Lanky Nandinas ------What to Do

tmolinis
17 years ago

I have some "Nandina" in a wooded area that I am cleaning ivy out of. They are very healthy,lanky and tall. Can they be rejevenated or pruned back to form a bush.

Please let me know. PEACE

thanks

tm

Comments (10)

• Iris GW
    17 years ago

Nandina cannot be pruned like other shrubs. Cut the tallest stems to the ground to rejuvenate, up to 1/3 of the total growth. New growth will sprout from the base. Repeat next year with the oldest growth and again the next year as needed.

Are these volunteers or do you think someone planted them? If they are volunteers, I'd just get rid of them. They can actually be a bit weedy in wooded areas (where birds poop the seeds).

• sugarhill
    17 years ago

I know how to prune nandina. It's the only thing I know how to prune, and it works. I used it on lanky nandina to produce lush nandina.

Here's what you do:
    1. Prune 1/4 of the stems to the exact height you want the plant. (If you want to keep the height it is now, leave 1/4 of the stems unpruned.)
    2. Cut 1/4 of the stalks to 3/4 of the height of the tallest stalks.
    3. Cut 1/4 of the talks to 1/2 the height of the tallest.
    4. Cut the reamining 1/4 of the stalks to 1/4 the height of the tallest.

Make sure you don't cut off all the leaves. Be prepared for it to look awful for months; however, in a year you'll have nicely filled out nandinas, and in 18 months to two years you'll have full bushy nandinas.

The other thing you should know is that nandina domestica is on the Georgia invasive species list, so make sure you cut off the blooms every year so they don't develop berries for the birds to spread. I know, I know - berries are the reason to grow them, but...

• celeste
    17 years ago

Don't tell my nandinas they can't be pruned since they get a haircut every year. Mine are actually lush. One of my gardening buddies told me what to do and no more legs on mine.

• ilikemud_2006
    17 years ago

I'd recomend "shovel pruning"!

• quirkyquercus
    17 years ago

Invasive, and really not that attractive anyway IMO remove. If you really want to stick it to the man, replace with oakleaf hydrangeas. I say that because in Florida, the limited native habitat for oakleaf hydrangea is being choked out entirely by heavenly bamboo/nandina

• davidcf
    17 years ago

I cut my Firepower nandina to the ground every 2 or 3 years in the spring, and they come back beautifully.

• windhorsepixy
    7 years ago

They may be invasive in the south & east - but not here in the West (NW - SW). Plus they have nice dought tolerance for our yearly period of months basically without any rain. Light, airy Asian look. Love, love them.

• 1818 Federal (7bEC)
    4 years ago

@mabelcrawford-* so lush!

• killerv
    4 years ago

if they aren't getting enough sun, they are just gonna come back lanky and tall and never fill out.

Sponsored