Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tall Lanky Nandinas ------What to Do

Posted by tmolinis Decatur GA (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 4, 06 at 12:02

I have some "Nandina" in a wooded area that I am cleaning ivy out of. They are very healthy,lanky and tall. Can they be rejevenated or pruned back to form a bush.
Please let me know. PEACE

thanks

tm

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tall Lanky Nandinas ------What to Do

Nandina cannot be pruned like other shrubs. Cut the tallest stems to the ground to rejuvenate, up to 1/3 of the total growth. New growth will sprout from the base. Repeat next year with the oldest growth and again the next year as needed.

Are these volunteers or do you think someone planted them? If they are volunteers, I'd just get rid of them. They can actually be a bit weedy in wooded areas (where birds poop the seeds).

o

I know how to prune nandina. It's the only thing I know how to prune, and it works. I used it on lanky nandina to produce lush nandina.

Here's what you do:
1. Prune 1/4 of the stems to the exact height you want the plant. (If you want to keep the height it is now, leave 1/4 of the stems unpruned.)
2. Cut 1/4 of the stalks to 3/4 of the height of the tallest stalks.
3. Cut 1/4 of the talks to 1/2 the height of the tallest.
4. Cut the reamining 1/4 of the stalks to 1/4 the height of the tallest.

Make sure you don't cut off all the leaves. Be prepared for it to look awful for months; however, in a year you'll have nicely filled out nandinas, and in 18 months to two years you'll have full bushy nandinas.

The other thing you should know is that nandina domestica is on the Georgia invasive species list, so make sure you cut off the blooms every year so they don't develop berries for the birds to spread. I know, I know - berries are the reason to grow them, but...

o

Don't tell my nandinas they can't be pruned since they get a haircut every year. Mine are actually lush. One of my gardening buddies told me what to do and no more legs on mine.

o

I'd recomend "shovel pruning"!

o

Invasive, and really not that attractive anyway IMO remove. If you really want to stick it to the man, replace with oakleaf hydrangeas. I say that because in Florida, the limited native habitat for oakleaf hydrangea is being choked out entirely by heavenly bamboo/nandina

o

I cut my Firepower nandina to the ground every 2 or 3 years in the spring, and they come back beautifully.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here