Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for gingko biloba tree to plant

Posted by rosiew 8 GA (rosemarywalsh@bellsouth.net) on
Fri, Sep 28, 12 at 12:14

This forum has been so slow recently. Hope a bunch of you can respond, telling me where to look for a good cultivar of the gingko. Want to plant one this fall. HELP! And thanks!

Rosie, in Sugar Hill, GA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for gingko biloba tree to plant

Be sure and get a boy tree. The girl tree's fruit smells really bad and that won't happen till she is a pretty good size.

o

Thanks, Frankielynn. Lord knows I don't want that stink I've read about. Still hoping someone has seen them for sale at a place they respect.

Rosie

o

The Trees Atlanta sale usually has them, and I think they sell boys...

o

Thanks all. Rascal (Bobby Gil)sent me the link below to a nursery I love, in Watkinsville, near Athens. She has two sizes and a ton of other wonderful selections......road trip time!

Rosie

Here is a link that might be useful: Source for gingkos near Atlanta

o

If anyone is still looking for gingko biloba, I have healthy seedlings available in North Buckhead. I have a mature female tree that drops the dreaded seed pods in my courtyard, but some of them get by me and sprout. I collect the seedlings and put them in potting soil and they do fine. So, if you want any, please let me know - there is no charge for them. I've been told that these trees can change gender, so even if you start off with a boy it may turn into a girl and eventually start dropping the seed pods.

o

AtlRizz, think I'd like to get some seedlings. So glad you saw this post and offered.

Is your girl gingko stinky? I've never experienced it, just read about it.

Only prob is logistics of getting. I live way the hell and gone outside the perimeter in Sugar Hill, Gwinnett County.

Rosie

o

Hi Rosie, I can't say for sure if the pods are smelly. I usually pick them up each day inside my townhouse courtyard. The fruit is bright green when they fall and seem to stay in one piece when they hit the ground. If you step on them, they will smash. I imagine if you had a pile of them rotting, then yes, they would smell. But, it's a tall, lovely tree and I love the leaves on it so I don't mind picking up after it.

Let me know if you're planning on coming inside the perimeter at some point.

Donna

o
RE: Looking for ginkgo biloba tree to plant

To clear up some of the things mentioned in this thread...

The correct spelling is ginkgo, not gingko.

Yes, ginkgos have been reported to change sex or have a branch change sex, but that is very very very very rare.

Something that may be more common and explain some instances is that a grafted plant may have its female top (scion) die and the rootstock may take over. If the rootstock were a male rootstock, that would result in a male tree where a female was originally planted.

Ginkgo fruit (not technically fruit BTW, by some definitions) smells quite a bit like puke, especially as it ages and is cracked open. Even with multiple trees and lots of fruit, I don't usually notice the smell unless I pick the fruit up or maybe get some on my shoe. Personally, I think trees planted out away from sidewalks and driveways shouldn't bother most people with an "average" sense of smell. Just don't plant a possible female tree near your house, a sidewalk, or a driveway.

o

My bad, misspelling ginkgo.

All this talk about the odor/stink has me disconcerted. I thought ginkgos were prominently planted downtown trees in Athens, GA. Can anyone contribute further about this?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here