Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosiew

Looking for gingko biloba tree to plant

rosiew
11 years ago

This forum has been so slow recently. Hope a bunch of you can respond, telling me where to look for a good cultivar of the gingko. Want to plant one this fall. HELP! And thanks!

Rosie, in Sugar Hill, GA

Comments (10)

• frankielynnsie
    11 years ago

Be sure and get a boy tree. The girl tree's fruit smells really bad and that won't happen till she is a pretty good size.

• rosiew
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Frankielynn. Lord knows I don't want that stink I've read about. Still hoping someone has seen them for sale at a place they respect.

Rosie

• girlgroupgirl
    11 years ago

The Trees Atlanta sale usually has them, and I think they sell boys...

• rosiew
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all. Rascal (Bobby Gil)sent me the link below to a nursery I love, in Watkinsville, near Athens. She has two sizes and a ton of other wonderful selections......road trip time!

Rosie

Here is a link that might be useful: Source for gingkos near Atlanta

• AtlRizz
    10 years ago

If anyone is still looking for gingko biloba, I have healthy seedlings available in North Buckhead. I have a mature female tree that drops the dreaded seed pods in my courtyard, but some of them get by me and sprout. I collect the seedlings and put them in potting soil and they do fine. So, if you want any, please let me know - there is no charge for them. I've been told that these trees can change gender, so even if you start off with a boy it may turn into a girl and eventually start dropping the seed pods.

• rosiew
    Original Author
    10 years ago

AtlRizz, think I'd like to get some seedlings. So glad you saw this post and offered.

Is your girl gingko stinky? I've never experienced it, just read about it.

Only prob is logistics of getting. I live way the hell and gone outside the perimeter in Sugar Hill, Gwinnett County.

Rosie

• AtlRizz
    10 years ago

Hi Rosie, I can't say for sure if the pods are smelly. I usually pick them up each day inside my townhouse courtyard. The fruit is bright green when they fall and seem to stay in one piece when they hit the ground. If you step on them, they will smash. I imagine if you had a pile of them rotting, then yes, they would smell. But, it's a tall, lovely tree and I love the leaves on it so I don't mind picking up after it.

Let me know if you're planning on coming inside the perimeter at some point.

Donna

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

To clear up some of the things mentioned in this thread...

The correct spelling is ginkgo, not gingko.

Yes, ginkgos have been reported to change sex or have a branch change sex, but that is very very very very rare.

Something that may be more common and explain some instances is that a grafted plant may have its female top (scion) die and the rootstock may take over. If the rootstock were a male rootstock, that would result in a male tree where a female was originally planted.

Ginkgo fruit (not technically fruit BTW, by some definitions) smells quite a bit like puke, especially as it ages and is cracked open. Even with multiple trees and lots of fruit, I don't usually notice the smell unless I pick the fruit up or maybe get some on my shoe. Personally, I think trees planted out away from sidewalks and driveways shouldn't bother most people with an "average" sense of smell. Just don't plant a possible female tree near your house, a sidewalk, or a driveway.

• rosiew
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My bad, misspelling ginkgo.

All this talk about the odor/stink has me disconcerted. I thought ginkgos were prominently planted downtown trees in Athens, GA. Can anyone contribute further about this?

• tkwang123
    9 years ago

hi, atlRizz

do you still have some tree that I can buy from you, prefer girl tree which produce seeds

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative General Contractors