Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are your favorite fall crops?

Posted by ally99 Athens, Ga (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 3, 11 at 12:26

Hey everyone! I'm looking for some new ideas for a fall garden. It will only be my 2nd year growing veggies in autumn. Last year I had great success with snap beans. I have 50 plants in the ground that are flourishing beautifully, even with the heat we've been having! I need to figure out what to plant in the other half of my garden and when is the best time to plant it. :) What are you all planting for your fall crops and when will you plant them? Thanks! Allyson

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are your favorite fall crops?

I recommend that you set out a few rows of turnips. They are easy to start from seed and require very little attention. I plant the seeds thicker than necessary just in case some don't emerge which usually results in heavy thinning. Turnip greens are known for their bitterness but exposure to frost will make them a bit sweeter(less bitter). The turnip also provides you with a tasty root that can be cooked along with your greens. My favorite variety to plant is the classic "Purple Top�� as it provides good sized roots as well as ample greens. If you only like simply greens, then other cultivars are best suited for vigorous leaf production.

You may also want to try collards or mustard greens.

Enjoy!

o
RE: What are your favorite fall crop?

Below, I listed a link to a informative website. It has the different cultivars listed as well as instructions for growing turnips. You can find information on many other Georgia crops as well.

Happy Gardening!

Here is a link that might be useful: Vegetable Gardening Info

o

Hi Allyson, thanks for the reminder! I always wait too long to get planting. Here's another link that might be helpful:

Here is a link that might be useful: Vegetable Planting Chart

o

Sitting here going through my seed packets:) In this order: 7-Top Turnip, Tender Green collards, rutabaga, Sparkler radishes, English peas, nasturtium, calendula, lettuce, carrots, spinach, chard and chervil. I'll be starting parsley too, but I'm out of seed right now. Still a little warm for evening stock, might be a little late for coles but I'll probably try it anyway.

It might be early for the spinach and peas, but they'll be in part shade until leaf drop:)

o

I forgot to post a thank you to you all for your responses and links. GREAT info! :) Thank you so much!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here