Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esthermgr

favorite plum and pear varieties?

esthermgr
14 years ago

I'm looking to plant a few small fruit trees this year adn want to know what your favorite plum and pear varieties in Atlanta are.

Comments (8)

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

I'm putting in Bruce and Methley plums, and a pineapple pear plus two asian pear varieties (sorry, I've forgotten which ones).

Went through a lot of research, as much as I could find in catalogs and books to figure out what I wanted. The Southern LIving Garden Book has good advice.

• esthermgr
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I looked on the UGA extension service website, and they list Bruce and Methley as two good plums for the area. So I guess I'll try those. Have you found good prices on them anywhere?

• mayland
    14 years ago

I bought an AU Rubrum last year. I read (on here and elsewhere) that the AU plums are also supposed to do well in our climate, but I can't comment on success as mine is too small to fruit still. I picked Rubrum as its supposed to be self-fruitful. We'll see.

I got mine shipped from Johnson Nursery in Ellijay, and it looks healthy so far.

Ison's sells larger plum trees that are in fruiting size, I think they are around $50ish. I believe they had Methley and another couple in that size, they were listed on their website.

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

Mayland, I read that too - I think I will eventually get one of the types you are speaking of.

One plum is coming from Bottoms Nursery - I can still do special ordering through Ace Hardware (as can anyone) however that was the final fruit order for the year. The other plum is coming from Oakhurst Gardens in Decatur - they are doing a fruit fundraiser this fall.

Bottoms nursery has excellent prices if you do a pick-up, plus they still have stock. Johnson's is saying they are out of fall stock. Isons prices are OK but we did not have very good luck with their shipping this year and everything is bare root. If you did a pick up with them, I think it would be fine.

GGG

• esthermgr
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks! I just ordered three trees (a rubrum plum and two pear varieties) from the Oakhurst sale, and I hope to have Hastings special-order some others for me. I think it will be my holiday gift to myself.

• mcleod
    14 years ago

Best pears IMO Kieffer (I prefer cooking varieties for fresh eating), Pineapple and D'anjou (suicidal to plant that one here though)

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

I was also at the Oakhurst Sale to pick up yesterday. I got the rubrum plum, and was able to get a methley from elsewhere. I have a pineapple pear too!!!

• mensplace
    14 years ago

Plums will do fine in North GA, but many pear varieties, especially when fertilized, will be VERY subject to firblight...whcih will quickly spread to apples.