Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brown turkey fig question

Posted by rosajoe 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 29, 13 at 13:22

Last year my fig tree had a lot of figs, but they did not ripen. This year they have not ripened and it looks like I have more just starting.

I have researched and I found that they may take several years to get the cycle correct, but is it too late for them to ripen now???

We had so much rain for months and the tree was not happy about it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
Brown Turkey Fig Question

Are you sure none have ripened? When my first crop came out in the spring (Breba), I believed the same until one Saturday when I saw Cardinals flying into the small tree. I then realized that as soon as the figs began to turn yellow, the birds were eating them.
When the larger crop was produced this summer, I was able to get some ripe fruit because the tree produced more than the birds could eat. We ate a lot and the past week or so I've left the remaining ones for the birds and wasps.
Hopefully, yours is NOT planted near your house because figs DO attract wasps.

o
RE: Brown turkey fig question

Thank you Alex,
The first one that did ripen was delicious and then the next one disappeared. At first I thought birds, but now I'm sure it is squirrels.

I have had about 6 to ripen and the others (the tree produced a lot!) have just stayed green and small.

At least it's better than last year and I think next year I will have figs to eat YAH!!!!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here