Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
floweryearth

Depression about the garden I want...

floweryearth
13 years ago

Hi,

I have some plants that I've been waiting for fall to buy and plant, but with the weather being how it is, I feel I shouldn't go through with it. I've been watering my investment plants almost everyday and they still look bad.

I'm wondering if I should wait for next fall to continue installing my landscape. The thing is that with the economy being how it is, I fear that some of my favorite online nurseries could go out of business.

Also, This landscape is not an absolute NEED. I don't want to waste precious water irrigating a new garden when we don't know whether next year will be another 2007.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (4)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

Can you clarify "weather being how it is"? From the rest of your post, I think you may be talking about drought-ish conditions, but I'm not sure. We have been very fortunate in East Tennessee this year to have gotten close to a normal amount of precipitation. We had been falling far short in many of the recent previous years.

I don't think I'd worry too much about plants not being available because of nursery closure. Sure, a particularly unusual plant may become unsourced, but that happens anyway. In the grand perspective, I don't see unusual plants being significantly harder to source than now. As nurseries close, others open or expand. There are far more cultivars on the market today than anytime in the past.

As for want versus need, that has to be a personal decision, but I sure don't plan to give up gardening just because of climate change. I have however started considering the climate-related possibilities much more than I used to. Maybe you should consider making your garden more climate-change adaptable.

• floweryearth
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi brandon,

Thanks for your reply. You are right in that I was too general. I guess I just thought that only Georgians hang out on this forum (no offense intended), and that the excessive drought and heat have been consistent throughout the state.

Anyway, you gave good encouragement. Thanks :)

• Iris GW
    13 years ago

Well, after the last drought I pledged to do better about MULCHING. Not sure that I met my goal, but I know in some areas I have done better.

In general, my plan is to tackle one area at a time and do it well. That way I don't take on too much at once and it seems more manageable. Once a year has passed and you got that area through it's first year, consider moving onto a second area. The first area should only need occasional help (only when really dry) and you can focus on the second area.

Also consider using soak hoses in the "active" area so that you can water more efficiently at the root level.

• floweryearth
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yeah, without mulch I don't think I would have any plants. You are right in not biting off more than you can chew. As one of my cottage garden books says: "too small's a bore, too large a chore".

Good advice, because I was a little overwhelmed at all that I am setting out to accomplish this fall.

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource