Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mayland_gw

another native plant sale (Fernbank Sept 19)

mayland
14 years ago

Fernbank Science Center's twice annual native (mostly) plant sale is next Sat, Sept 19 from 8-4.

There is a plant list online at the link below, but it does sometimes vary a little on the day.

The Science Center is the smaller museum opposite the elementary school (not the bigger Natural History museum).

They do sell out of some of the shrubs/trees quickly, so if you want something in particular, its best to get there early.

Here is a link that might be useful: fernbank plant sale

Comments (6)

• Iris GW
    14 years ago

Well, that certainly is a very good and extensive selection! Fernbank has done a good job with this sale over the last few years, and it just gets better and better.

As far as other native plant sales are concerned, I am excited that the Georgia Native Plant Society will resume it's spring sale this year (April 2010) now that the drought is over (it is over, right? The rain this month has been incredible!).

Anyway, I hope some folks will take advantage of this Fernbank sale tomorrow.

• mayland
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The plant list has been updated since I first posted, so please check for the most recent list if you are wanting a particular plant.

It is a nice sale, and the shrub prices are really quite good. I have filled the car the last 2-3 times...but this time I don't really need anything so I'm not sure we'll even go.

The rain is truly incredible! The creek across the street from us burst its banks on Weds evening and 2 houses on the other side had flooded basements.

I'd like to try some of the GPC sales that Laylaa posted on, they sound great as well.

• Iris GW
    14 years ago

So ... what'd ya get? I spent the day dashing in and out of the rain while I dug up some grass (and transplanted it to the neighbor's yard, talk about double work!!).

• mayland
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, having said we didnt need anything, we managed to fill the car again - this time my husband picked out more things than i did! We got:

sweetbay magnolia
    dahoon holly, with berries on
    yellow anise
    common witchhazel
    bottlebrush buckeye
    2 rabbiteye blueberries with lovely silvery-blue leaves ("powerblue" maybe, i cant remember)
    itea virginica Henry's Garnet

I also have some plants from a grower's outlet trip and some perennials from a recent Bluestone order, so i have a lot to plant! Unfortunately it looks like another day of rain today...

That was very kind of you to transplant as well as dig up grass. I hope you get a break in the rain today to get a bit more done.

• Iris GW
    14 years ago

Oh, those are some nice things. I like dahoon holly, I believe it is one of the parents of Ilex 'Savannah' and other hybrids with American holly. I have two sweetbay magnolias myself - they have wonderfully sweet blooms.

I doubt I can dig up the rest of that grass today - it has been raining non-stop since before dawn and it is now noon. But it will stop eventually and then I can go and pull out some of the stilt grass (invasive) near the creek before it goes to seed.

Giving the grass to the neighbors benefits me - their property is higher than mine and when it rains hard, dirt washes into the street and into my yard! This grass will help stabilize the area (and is working already). And I needed the area where the grass was to grow a native crabapple and hawthorn. I decided it was ridiculous to let the grass have the majority of my sunny areas!

• mayland
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Crabapple and hawthorn sound a lot nicer-looking than grass!

It rained all day here both Sat and Sun. I managed to get outside long enough to plant 2 things before i got soaked.

We picked a Dahoon holly over a Yaupon b/c the man at the sale told us it is a bit more shade-tolerant and faster growing than the Yaupon. We want it to be part of a screen to the neighbor's house, which is part-shade at best. The sweetbay will probably also get less sun than it would like, but hopefully will still flower a little.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor