Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Remedies

Posted by yomamanem 7B Georgia (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 26, 07 at 15:11

I stated in a recent message that I was stung by a saddleback caterpillar a few days ago and it was very painful. The only thing that helped alleviate the pain was ice. I would like to hear other remedies for stopping pain of stings. I noticed on a medication ointment stick for stings at the pharmacy that the main ingredient was ammonia. Also, I have heard that meat tenderizer is good. I sure don't mind buying a potion at the pharmacy if it works! Any suggestions?
Also: I have a bad reaction to poison ivy, but I don't think most people know how poison ivy works. It seems to bind with skin after a few minutes and using soap is not helpful if you wait too long. The potent oil can get on skin, clothes, in smoke, etc. I wonder if there is something available that you can spray on your body when you think you have been exposed?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Remedies

I've never really had any caterpillar encounters (luckily!), so I don't have any advice on that.

For poison ivy, I've never had much luck with soap and water or rubbing alcohol, probably because I wait too long. My mom brought me a bottle of something called Tecnu, and I've had a lot of luck with it. There's a cleanser for skin and a liquid that you can use to wash your clothes with. I think it's made by the same people who make Calagel, another great anti-itch product that my mom used on us as kids and that I still use.

I don't have any affiliation with the company, but I love the stuff.

Stacy

o

When i got stung i used bactine and the pain went away very fast

Here is a link that might be useful: bactine

o

I had heard that for poison ivy you should just flush the area with cool water. Using plain soap allows the oil to break up into many smaller parts and make it worse. I'm sure that some of the newer products like Tecnu address that.

Unfortunately, you don't always know you've come into contact with poison ivy and that is how you get some really bad cases - you unknowingly spread the oil onto many places.

I go into the woods all the time and walk through thigh-high poison ivy. I am careful to wear gloves and not touch any exposed skin (like scratch my face). When I get home, remove all the outer clothing and gloves and throw them in the wash. They are fine after that.

One remedy that I have found for mosquito bites: rub a little liquid soap or hand lotion on the bite and it usually stops itching. At home I use Benadryl gel, but I find these other items work fine when I'm out and about or in the car.

o

Do you get many mosquito bites in the car?
:-0

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here