Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First time gardner here: Advice please

Posted by organicnew2gardening 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 19, 10 at 15:16

Hello all!! I am embarking on planting my first garden. I would like to start off with some carrots and spinach for the fall.

Where is the best place to get my seeds?
When should I plant them?
Anyone recommend a great book for beginner gardeners?

My husband and I built a raised bed garden last weekend and are excited to put something in it. Again, this is my first time so if I ask tons of questions, my apologies in advance. Let me know if I need to supply any more info.

I am so EXCITED!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First time gardner here: Advice please

Spinach is a bit difficult in the fall here. Especially since it is so hot and dry right now. Go ahead and grow it, but do not be discouraged if you struggle. Plant your carrots now in very good loose soil. A short variety is best. They take a long time to mature and will be ready in the spring for your eating pleasure. Quick short crops are lettuces and radishes if you want to taste your success sooner rather than later!
Whole foods, and some Ace hardware stores have seeds that have been held indoors in air conditioned spaces. A few big box stores have seeds but they are sitting outside in heat and humidity with really effects germination.

o

Thanks for the advice! So should I plant the carrots now or wait until the spring?

o

Nope, you can surely plant carrots now, you can also plant them again in the spring!!! Go ahead and try spinach. On this forum Farmer Dilla recommended Bordeaux Spinach which Botanical Interests has seeds for, they are in Whole Foods, some Ace hardware stores too (and perhaps other places).

Good luck!

o

Thank you so much!!!!!!

o

I would get the Southern Living Garden Book to begin with.
What kind of soil did you put in your raised bed?
How will you water it?
Is it in full sun?
Will rabbits or deer get to it?

Happy Gardening!

o

I also planted carrots in a raised bed this year. I actually did it twice. The first seeds I planted in a pot & transplanted in the garden.. They died. Then I just sprinkled the left over seeds in the bed with some crushed leaves & they are starting to grow now. This is my first year with carrots. Right now they are doing OK.

Spinach is good to plant in the cool season. I Planted my spinach in early spring right after the last frost. I started them by seed in the house & then moved them outside. They will also work in the Fall

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here