Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
groundcover_gw

Passing this on...

groundcover
14 years ago

from Slow Food SE Regional GovenorSunday, September 27, 2009 4:00 PMFrom: "Julie Shaffer" September 27, 2009

Our good food community needs your help.

Dear Slow Food Atlanta community,

Julie Shaffer here, reaching out to you in place of Judith today. In case you haven't heard, Judith and Joe's Farm, Love is Love, at the Glover Family Farm, has been severely damaged by the past week's flood. As many of you know, this is an historic family farm which has been in organic cultivation for nearly 30 years.

I hope most of you made it through the with minimal damage. While many of us have experienced minor damage like flooded basements and leaky roofs, many of our farmers have been devastated, losing entire Fall crop, livestock, and very importantly, their topsoil. From all accounts, the damage has been mild/moderate to sever/profound, depending on location. Our farm members depend on crop sales to pay their living expenses. With Fall crop gone and soil completely eroded, their prospects for the near future are grim.

I am writing to ask for your solidarity and support at this time of need. Let's please pull together as a community, and rally around Judith, Joe, Skip, Cookie and our other farmer members who find themselves in dire straits. I am asking that you do two things: First of all, help us identify those farmers who are in trouble. Please respond to this e-mail with the name and contact informaiton of any farmers you know who have suffered a loss. Secondly, strategize what you can do to help raise funds for the affected farms. We will set up a fund, and the Slow Food Atlanta board will devise a plan to distrubute the funds to those in greatest need.

Please e-mail us with your ideas and plans.

Thanks in advance for your support!!

Julie Shaffer, SE Regional Governor

Slow Food USA

Slow Food Atlanta : 4148 Kings Troop Road : Stone Mountain : GA : 30083 Ho