Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esga

Witch hazel (Hamamelis) in GA?

esga
12 years ago

I live outside Atlanta and haven't ever seen any witch hazels around. I need something for a spot in front of my entry way, and this is one candidate. Do they not do well down here?

I hae an entryway that's aout a 10 x 12' room which gets dreadfully hot in summer - full west sun, and a brick facing on the wall up to about 3' and a stone floor. The stone and brick hold the heat of course. I'd like something about 10' tall and deciduous. There is a triangular patch of ground surrounded by sidewalk, driveway, and concrete that runs along the house. I don't want anything aggressive that would push roots up, cracking the concrete. It's about 5' from the house.

It should have a pretty silhouette when bare, too, since it's fairly visible. Something specimen-worthy. All suggestions welcome! I've also thought of a small crape myrtle or a panicle hydrange (but I don't know about the latter in the beating sun).

Comment (1)

• alkagift
    12 years ago

I've seen a very nice one at the Atlanta Botanical Garden. I don't know about it thriving well under the hot conditions you describe, though. Google "Arnold's Promise" and see if it would work. Under the circumstances you describe, though, I'd go with an Acoma Crape Myrtle--has a wide branching habit and is shortish, at least it was in my old yard.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor