Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esh_ga

Home Depot Landscape Supply is closing

Iris GW
16 years ago

There are locations in Kennesaw, Woodstock, Duluth, Vinings/Smyrna and Snellville. Home Depot announced recently that they will all close.

That's too bad, I found them to be a useful supplier of larger trees and shrubs with a deeper selection of sizes than most big box stores.

They are due to close by Nov 19 but no indication of whether there would be some good deals as a result of the closures.

Comments (25)

• buford
    16 years ago

HMM, I wonder why? I loved going there. Maybe they didn't do enough business?

• landdawg
    16 years ago

run the building supply side, I can understand. The Home Depot in my town NEVER has enough checkout help and NEVER has enough assistants. They used to do a good job but it's near pitiful at the store I use. A crying shame. I guess Arthur is losing too much on Atlanta.

• quirkyquercus
    16 years ago

I can't help but think that their prices and selection had something to do with it but HD also sold off their HD Supply (Wholesale distribution) business and a a while back a whole bunch of their expo stores were closed or converted. I think they want to stick with the retail home improvement business.

They also had HDLS stores in the Dallas,TX area and those are closing too.

This is one nursery that I've been to a number of times due to it being somewhat convenient but I have not once purchased anything from there.

• Iris GW
    Original Author
    16 years ago

They offered the usual explanation about focusing on the core business, etc. I'm sure the decision was related to the decision to sell off the HD Supply business.

So far they said this re-focus effort does not affect the Expo stores.

I bought several things there - when I wanted to find some variegated yucca, they had them (and 11 of them to choose from); when I needed 3 gallon chindo viburnums, they had plenty; wanted a Forest Pansy redbud later in the season for a friend ... they had plenty in 3 different sizes. The Woodstock store always had what I needed. But that was just my experience. I'm guessing their target client (small time landscape installers?) didn't jump on the concept like they expected.

But then, when you think about it, who was their target client, was that really clear?

Here is a link that might be useful: One article about it

• quirkyquercus
    16 years ago

The AP article that we apparently both read from 2-3 or maybe 10 different sources said their target market was landscapers and DIY'ers which could explain the higher prices but I don't think that is an easy business to be in. They picked two markets where there is a lot of competition already. Compare that to their regular stores where they have a winning product mix of bradford pears & leyland cypress conveniently located right along with everything else people need to pick up for their weekend warrior advertures and understandably that is a lot more appealing than setting up a separate 5+ acre site and running an entirely separate business. I don't think the HD branding was helping in either the the HD supply or the HD landscape supply except to possibly attract retail buyers which wasn't their goal to begin with. (Or shouldn't have been)

• Applegate
    16 years ago

I think we'll be seeing more of these kinds of consolidations as the economy slows due to the housing market situation. However, I think another factor is at work: going back to their main business. So many Big Stores expanded and began carrying any and everything in an attempt to garner more customers. Perhaps they've caught on to the old adage: Do what you do best!

Also, Lowe's has been quite competitive in the garden supplies. Wonder if we'll see Lowe's expand that division, or get out of it, as well. Maybe Pike's will regain their lost customers. At any rate, some company will fill the gap.

• georgia-rose
    16 years ago

I believe that all plant nurseries have struggled to make a profit this year. HD is cutting it's losses and focusing on the bottom line, stock price and shareholder value. After several years of mismanagement, the Directors wised up and paid the CEO $200M (that's MILLION, folks!), to leave. He went to Chrysler Corp. Keep an eye on them.
    The 3 trailer loads of plants that Growers Outlet just purchased was an order from a large Atlanta Area firm that was cancelled at the last minute. Another firm trying to cut their losses.
    If you have a favorite plant source or sources, patronize them whenever you can. Another year of drought like this one and I fear some of them will be gone.
    The drought years weren't unexpected, just ignored. A published article(can't find source) from about 10 years ago, entitled "The Coming Southeastern Desert" (sadly)predicted the conditions we are experiencing today.

• quirkyquercus
    16 years ago

I don't think the drought is the sole cause. In fact I don't think it's all that big of a problem for sales.
    Has it stopped any of us from buying plants this year? It sure as heck hasn't stopped me.
    It hasn't stopped strip malls being being built and needing landscaping. It hasn't stopped the city of buford from planting more willow oaks underneath powerlines. It hasn't stopped walwart from planting a certain number of trees to be in compliance with their land use arrangements.

It hasn't stopped the sale of seasonal flowers and plants. It hasn't stopped the demand for more turf sod or seed for that matter. It hasn't stopped the sale of fertilizer or garden accessories. It sure as heck hasn't stopped people from buying mulch.

I could be wrong but the reason I'm not buying certain plants this year is because those that have been shipped in from the PNW or other places are very expensive because of the shipping costs.

If people have lost plants from the drought they will need to buy more plants. It's as simple as that. What? Were people just supposed to give up and not have landscaping or quit gardening? Even las Vegas has landscaping and gardening. The nurseries may have to diversify their offerings a little to reflect lower maintenance drought tolerant desires of the buyers.

• alex_7b
    16 years ago

Q2,

I do believe that the drought has had a negetive effect on retail sales. The builders' sales have dropped because existing home sales are down 6 months straight and new home sales are at the lowest level in 7 years.

HDLS had some interesting stock that was not available elsewhere. However, I doubt that weirdos like me are gonna scoop up enough Saw Palmetto, Norfolk Island Pine and Hespareloe parviflora to keep 'em in business.

• quirkyquercus
    16 years ago

YEah that was one of the reasons I wasn't that interested in HDLS, too many palm trees. And norfolk island pine is not hardy here as I'm sure you know and they are not that easy to grow indoors for a long time.

• alex_7b
    16 years ago

On thus plus side, it gives some breathing room for the private specialty nurseries. They can sell the unusual things that HD doesn't carry. I guess the "big box" stores will concentrate on Leyland Cypress and Burford Holly, as usual.

• quirkyquercus
    16 years ago

Yes as a businessman I would only want to carry proven sellers that people are familiar with. Pull anyone off the street in metro atlanta and ask them to name 3 trees, if they even could name that many it would be leyland cypress, crepe myrtle, and bradford pear.
    As a tree nut I would carry none of these! And I probably wouldn't be in business too long.

• alex_7b
    16 years ago

I'd be content if they would plant Willow Oaks everywhere. Native, nice shape and easy cleanup. Heck, even Loblolly with azaleas would be better than Weeping Willows, Bradford Pears.

• quirkyquercus
    16 years ago

Why am I not surprised.

Has anyone been there yet to see if they have slashed prices?

• turkeytaker
    16 years ago

It was 40-60% on Monday, and they were selling off the fixtures.

I grabbed a Harry Lauder's walking stick. I'll probably put it where our bradford pear just split.

• theras_garden
    16 years ago

Is there a "better" location to buy from (based on selection)? I'm on south side so have never visited any of the HDLS stores.
    thera

• quirkyquercus
    16 years ago

Yes, just about anywhere. Unless you like coastal plants and hardy palms. I'll be heading down that way in a little while, if I have time I'll stop by and see what's up.

• quirkyquercus
    16 years ago

The duluth location didn't have hardly anything left. Don't waste your time making a special trip. It was sad to see the place so empty. There were a lot of people there. It looked like the place had beed raided.

• theras_garden
    16 years ago

Quirky,
    about your sentence "just about anywhere". ATL isn't exactly coastal plant/palm terroritory. I'm mostly interested in natives with a few non-natives mixed in.
    Thanks for checking Duluth. Sounds like I'll stick to my local nurseries and support the little guys.

• Iris GW
    Original Author
    16 years ago

theras_garden, hopefully you have already discovered Nearly Native in Fayetteville. I haven't been there myself (always hope to go one day), but I have heard it is a good one with really sharp owners.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nearly Native

• quirkyquercus
    16 years ago

As am I. That place always had an unusually large selection of palms though, that is why I said that. Thy don't have any now though. They did have one nice looking b&b hemlock sitting off all alone in the corner and there were quite a few redbuds. They had a bunch of decent sized container clump river birches but some folks there at the same time were cleaning them out. Still probably not worth a drive from the southside, IMO.

• mstoni
    16 years ago

I always thought the HDLS was a bit high in price on a lot of items. I never bought anything from them. I usually find great buys at Lowes... 4" mums marked down to 10 cents which came back nicely. This was all prior to the current water problems. My local HD store has a terrible plant dept. nothing is taken care of and things are always dying or dead, never marked down and this has been going on prior to the water restrictions.

• Iris GW
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It's been said here before that individual stores (both HD and sLowes) have various levels of quality and service. If one is not good, try another, it could be better.

The HD Landscape Supply near me was always well stocked with good prices. I just don't buy a lot of plants so only went there a few times a year.

• theras_garden
    16 years ago

esh ga,
    Yup, have visited Nearly Native Nursery in Fayetteville. It's unusual as they have a lot of the plants growing in the ground. I got a beautiful Spider Azalea that bloomed a lovely purple this past summer. Has weathered the drought with flying colors.
    They are very helpful people to help you pick plants and for support later on.
    I visited Andy's Nursery in Fayetteville this weekend. They are having a wonderful sale to help stimulate sales. 30% off perennials, 40% off shrubs, 50% off trees. If you live in the area, please help 'em out. They're hurting.

• Iris GW
    Original Author
    16 years ago

An update in the AJC:

A Florida real estate development and acquisitions firm said Wednesday it has bought The Home Depot Inc.'s 11 Landscape Supply stores for $22 million.

Palm Beach Gardens, Fla.-based Ram Realty Services said in a statement that it is evaluating the portfolio to determine which of the sites will be sold and which will be redeveloped. The sale includes five stores in the Atlanta area and six in the Dallas area.

The sites range in size from 4.5 acres to 9 acres and contain a former Landscape Supply store building of about 12,000 square feet.

Sponsored