Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Who can tell me more about: Zanthoxylum americanum

Posted by girlgroupgirl 8 Atlanta (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 3, 09 at 18:00

I got the listing of trees available at the Trees Atlanta sale for fall this year. One stumped me:
Zanthoxylum americanum

Its supposed to be nasty thorny, used for toothaches...but someone on another forum said they found it weedy? It's cool looking. but I don't need weedy.

I am also interested in the size, I could not really find reliable info.

THANKS!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Who can tell me more about: Zanthoxylum americanum

Dirr says shrub or small tree, 15 to 25 feet tall.

"Dark green foliage that is handsome and not susceptible to insect or disease problems. The yellowish green flowers occur before the leaves on the previous season's wood. Dioecious. "

o

But it doesn't say that it has nasty and evil thorns?
I like the size...it would be nice elsewhere as a change from Aralia (and apparently easier for me to find).

Thanks Esh! I thought you might come thru.

o

Oh sure, it says that. I just didn't put that because you already knew! 1/3 to 1/2 inch "prickles" is what he calls them.

o

Sounds nice and vicious!!!
I'm ready to use anything evil to keep my back yard as secure as I can :)

o

Common prickly-ash. Yes it has thorns. It contins a natural anti fungicide, so nice additive if your area is prone to balck spot. Tops out at 25-30 feet.

o

Thanks ogremom, I didn't realize that. Can you make a fungicide out of the leaves or compost them and make a tea to use for anti-fungicide. We get BS on roses here and I love roses!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here