Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theplantpimp

Do you grow this vine?

theplantpimp
17 years ago

Hi everyone!!

It's been ages; hope you and your gardens are well. Such a year, no?!

I just took this photo of Antigonon leptopus- Coral Vine on a recent holiday in Destin, Florida. Though on the upper reaches of its hardiness, I was curious to know if any of you grew this in the Atlanta area. My first knowledge of it was while reading Passalong Plants, though I rarely see any.

Florally,

TPP

{{gwi:837814}}

Comments (4)

• girlgroupgirl
    17 years ago

Hey There:
    Yes. I grow this at church, and it forms a GIANT tuber. Will need a super duper sunny spot here as it needs mucho long season sun for maximum flowering. Ours has never looked quite so robust, that is a fantastic photograph of the vine! However, it does plenty well enough. Dies back to the ground in winter and has to re-sprout here.
    I understand there is pink, white and red. Someone once told me there was a purple, but I found out that is not so. Maybe someday in my dreams?

Started in a very warm, humid enviornment with a seed that has been knicked and soaked overnight, they are fairly easy but low germination rate.

GGG

• theplantpimp
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Good deal!!

I'll add it to my list for potential future additions.

Cheers,
    TPP

• alpharetta
    17 years ago

I love this flower too. I saw it in Vietnam and people call it as "Tigon" flower. I guess the name comes from French language...

I tried to grow from seeds that I bought online. I had some seedlings, but and then they all died. But girlgroupgirl confirms that it survives in Atlanta, I will try again. The only thing different is that girlgroupgirl zone is 8 while my zone is 7.

Regards,
    Alpharetta

• girlgroupgirl
    17 years ago

You are right, sometimes just a few miles here in the city can mean the difference in hardiness. Oh, goodness, sometimes it's just which direction your house faces!!
    My property is zone 8 the last several years in the front yard due to so much rock, cement, reflection off of the pavement, stone holding in heat, and the raised beds made out of bottles which hold in a LOT of heat. I plant my tender things carefully, and keep winter wet out from their crowns, not to wet around roots during winter. You can gain a lot more hardiness this way, you just have to play around with things and see what works for you.
    If you plant coral vine it needs to go in very early in the season so the tuber can grow very deep and anchor it'self deep in the ground by fall.
    GGG

Sponsored