Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
razorback33

Got water?

razorback33
15 years ago

I'm down to the last dregs in the rainbarrels and that fatuous ruling about wandwatering 75 minutes per week, just ain't cutting the mustard, STS.

Have had no rainfall for 30 days(yes, I'm counting!) and none likely for the forceable future. October is our dryest month, one sage opined on a recent weathercast.

Lack of adequate moisture, coupled with a strong, gusty E, NE wind for the past week - 10 days and I'm seeing a meltdown in my garden.

Maybe we will have an early frost and put the suffering plants out of their misery.

Rb

Comments (14)

• vicki7
    15 years ago

My plants, especially the ones that were just planted this year, are suffering now. Even worse, I think, than during the 90-plus heat. I have 3 rain barrels, and they are all empty now. I now wish I hadn't planted my brugmansia, as it is sooo sensitive to the lack of moisture. We need to pray for rain!

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

I am having to water plants again. The cooler weather gave them (and me) a break for a while, but now you can tell the ground is really dry and a few things are drooping.

Has anyone published the winter season forecast (normal, drier than usual, wetter than usual)?

• GAAlan
    15 years ago

Its been miserable around north Georgia since Fay. I've had only 0.06" of rain since August 26 which ain't gettin' it done. I was looking at the precip forecast through at least October 11 on the NOAA site last night and best I could tell they don't expect more than a half inch for this area over that span. Yet again we have managed to find ourselves underneath a rain shield thanks to a ridge of high pressure. Beneficial rain looms achingly close but somehow not quite. Its just not fair!

• mayland
    15 years ago

we've also had no rain since the end of August (Fay). Several storms have passed so close by - we had black sky and could hear the thunder, but got no rain ourselves.

Thankfully everything that has been planted more than a few months seems to be doing OK with very little watering. But I've bought lots of shrubs lately (Growers outlet trip and the Fernbank sale last w/end) that we are planting now and having to water.

• bloominganne
    15 years ago

Nope. It is truly pitiful that rain has come close but not made it here.

I did buy some of the water crystals from Watersorb but it's too soon to tell if they are helping or not. I potted up a Japanese Maple and moved a boxwood to a larger pot and put them in the soil mixture. I have these pots under a huge oak tree where nothing will grow. When I water under the oak I can almost hear it sucking the water up!

Also, I've been to our local mulch site and have been putting a nice layer of mulch on everything. I'm going slowly because all that shovling has some muscles aching that I didn't know I had :-)

• stevega
    15 years ago

The last month has really hurt everything up here in Flowery Branch. We were making it until now. Young trees and shrubs are dying all over town. I've got weeds that are dying.
    I hope that my plants can hold on a little longer. The 10 yds of mulch I had delivered in the spring gets a lot of credit for keeping things alive.

• buford
    15 years ago

I used up all the saved water from Faye and I've been hand watering when I can. I don't even use a nozzle, I just open the faucet and stick it under various plants for the time allowed.

• greenjean7bga
    15 years ago

I live between Cartersville and Rome. Same situation here.

I have been using my dishwater on the plants that require moist soils. Also, on the days I can water, I as buford do the same with the hose. I keep moving it around. It helps that my yard has a slight slop. I did mulch like heck this past spring.

Some plants look really leggy but blooming. The wild golden rods are putting a beautiful show and I never water them.

I am new here and it helps to know that I am not the only one who is sad that their plants are suffering from this darn drought.

Jean

• razorback33
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Forty(40) days without rain. (yep, still counting!)
    The forcasted rain for Wednesday is about to be cancelled.
    Northern Jet Stream is carrying the moisture toward the Northeast. Southern Jet is non-existant at present.
    No Tropical systems to help out. Just a tropical depression would be welcome, please. We can do without the strong winds.
    Looks like most areas in N GA received only a fraction of normal rainfall in Sept. Archive map from Advanced Hydrologic Prediction Service attached.
    I'm about ready to toss in the towel and call 2008 another one for the record book. Another 10 days without rainfall and it will surpass the dryest period I've ever experienced, during Apr-May 2007. of 49 consecutive days without rain.
    Rb

Here is a link that might be useful: AHPS

• girlgroupgirl
    15 years ago

Weather.com has increased the chance of showers on Wed. over the day?

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

We've gotten some rain during the night and still a little more this morning.

Rb, I hope you got some!

• mayland
    15 years ago

Its a deluge here! It rained most of the night and most of today, a couple of very heavy thunderstorms and torrents of water running down our street.

Hope everyone else is getting rained on too.

• greenjean7bga
    15 years ago

Thank goodness the good we got here in Bartow Co. yesterday.

To answer the question....I got water now!

Hope everyone does.

Jean

• razorback33
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, even I received a good soaking rainfall! So, everyone else must have! Good thing it came from the SW, instead of the West or I would be still dry.
    Now, I can replace the spent Begonias that still had a few blooms. The heavy rain during a TS stripped them clean, also did a number on the fall-flowering Crocus, but there are many more of those that haven't bloomed yet.
    Am going to again try Pansy's this year. Haven't been that pleased with them in the past. Think I will splurge a bit and buy the 4" pots, instead of the liners, which took all winter to become established and bloom and looked their best in spring, when it was time to remove them!
    I may get around to doing that this weekend, right now I'm resting from "Dancing in the Rain"! :Q))
    Rb

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations