Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crinbrookhaven

Where to buy corn gluten meal?

CRinBrookhaven
18 years ago

Anyone know of a place to buy corn gluten meal in the Atlanta area?

Thanks.

Comments (24)

• HoneyGum_SugarBush
    18 years ago

Fagetta bout it. I called every feed store looking for that stuff to no avail. They didn't even know what it was. If you are able to find it, please let me know.

• bobbygil
    18 years ago

hi...having been born 10 minutes from "the stadium"...its fuggetta, not fagetta

• razorback33
    18 years ago

Doubt if you will find it sold under the Generic name, as each company licensed to market it, has their own product or brand name. Check the link for current licensees and their product names. Some have toll free numbers, which may lead to a local dealer or distributor. If available, it will probably be found at a local nursery in their fertilizer and weed control display.
    Good luck!
    Rb

Here is a link that might be useful: Corn Gluten Meal Licensees

• CRinBrookhaven
    Original Author
    18 years ago

reall? doh!

I was at Pike's the other day just looking around and saw cottonseed meal (no idea what it's for). I wonder if they can order it if I asked...

• razorback33
    18 years ago

Cottonseed Meal is a great top-dressing organic fertilizer for acid loving plants, such as Azaleas, Rhodies, etc. Usually found in formulations of 7-2-2, 6-2-1. Used mainly for it's Nitrogen content and to lower the soil acidity. Used by Organic Gardeners, along with Corn Gluten Meal, Kelp Meal, Bone Meal, Blood Meal, Fish Emulsion and so forth.
    Also, used as an activator in composting.
    Rb

• HoneyGum_SugarBush
    18 years ago

You say fuggetta, I say fagetta :-)

What are you planning on using it for? Let's start there.

• CRinBrookhaven
    Original Author
    18 years ago

We wanted to use is as a pre-emergent. Just trying to use something a little more natural. But if it can't really be found, oh well.

• ntbio
    17 years ago

Nature Turf, 770-967-2300 x26, tellme@natureturf.com They usually sell out but they have some now. $40/50# bag of 100% Corn Gluten Meal 60% protein. They are an organic turf service provider for people that don't want chemical treatments.

Here is a link that might be useful: Corn Gluten Meal in Atlanta

• girlgroupgirl
    17 years ago

I have purchased corn gluten meal with no problem from the feed store on Brannen. I purchased mine last year, a huge bag of it for about $11. They tend to begin carrying those types of ammendments when the rose society of atlanta begins wanting to buy it. I would call again, in March (I think I bought mine in March last year). I store mine in a metal trashcan to keep out the kritters, and I buy enough to last the next fall/spring to use as pre-emergent.

GGG

• Gregory Eleser
    17 years ago

I was just at a feed store yesterday in Cumming located on Spot road ( Suwanee feed I think).
    They had 50 pound bags of corn gluten meal for about $10.00 if I remember corectly.

Greg

• ntbio
    17 years ago

Make sure you get the Corn Gluten Meal that has a 60% protein label on it...otherwise it will not work.

Corn meal and corn feed does not work either.

The spot price of the "real" corn gluten meal at the factory is more than 10$/bag...so, paying 11 is not a reasonable amount to pay so it probably isn't corn gluten meal...

• Kathy Bochonko
    17 years ago

Oh sure now I read this. I just bought a bag at that feed store and put it down on Saturday. I just went and checked the label in the trash, and sure enough it is only 20% protien and only says Corn Gluten (not "corn meal gluten") which really urks me since I called them and asked for "Corn Meal Gluten" and they said yes they have it and that is what they sold me. So my $8 bargain was too good to be true. Now what, since I am losing my window to put anything down. Or have I already lost it? So the one I used won't so anything?

• girlgroupgirl
    17 years ago

Kathy, you are fine. Mr. Bio is just trying to sell his own products through his own company.

GGG

• Kathy Bochonko
    17 years ago

Actually I talked the guy at nature Turd and he said that what I bought isn't going to work. It wasn't even yellow, it was brown. I actually went to buy the right stuff today at Nature Turf, but no one was there. I guess I am just meant to ahve weeds.

• girlgroupgirl
    17 years ago

Kathy, I bought corn gluten pellets last year. They are brownish, not yellow. They worked EXCELLENTLY and I was relatively weed free, and had low-re-seeding of many plants such as morning glories. It was not perfect, but I think that was more because the pellets were hard to spread, being fairly large. There were gaps. But the pathway, which I spread heavily before a rain, had no seedling germination. I need to spread again, I'm getting re-seeding of grasses like mad along that pathway already this spring.

Mr. Nature Turf is a salesman for his own products, so I'm sure you may be aware that he is trying to sell you what he has in stock. This is the same person who spoke badly of my friends' company, whom he does not know and has not used although he claimed to have used. That is something I'd think about before taking his advice as "word".

GGG

• Kathy Bochonko
    17 years ago

I just noticed that I typed Nature "turd" instead of "turf," Ha! that was purely an accident in case anyone read it as sarcasm. I went to buy the gluten on Friday but no one was there. GGG what I bought was not pellet but a dusty meal. So do you think I should just see what happens? it said 20% protien on the label.

• girlgroupgirl
    17 years ago

Yes, just see what happens. Corn gluten meal is typically sold in a dusty meal. It just so happened the the feed store ordered it in pellets last year. I'd try it. Can't hurt!

GGG

• flourishing
    17 years ago

Dear sir, I have the pleasure of introducing ourselves to you as a state manufacturer specializing in producing corn gluten meal in China,if you interest with our corn gluten meal, don't hesitate to contact me.
    My email: cnflourishing@hotmail.com
    Mr.Cai

• rob31520
    17 years ago

I got many raw components from Ziegler look them up in Google and ask for the lab when you call, They sent me blood meal and corn gluten and one other item I can't remember I just asked the lab what was 3 raw products has the highest concentrations of protein and that is what they sent along with a print out showing all the raw ingredients the sell.

• fjone999_aol_com
    16 years ago

Hi, I don't know if anyone answered your question, but at this website... www.hort.wisc.edu/mastergardener/Features/weeds/corngluten/corngluten.htm ,
    you can scroll down and they list places where you can either go buy it or order it online. Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: Corn Gluten Meal: A Natural Herbicide

• zardthegardener
    14 years ago

I just called a bunch of stores, and here are the results.

The store mentioned by Greg is called "Cumming, Suwanee Feed & Supply" on 2730 Spot Rd, 30040 - 770-887-5200. I just called them and they only carry corn gluten meal during the Spring.

Nature Turf's phone (770) 475-5104 has been disconnected. www.natureturf.com gives me an error message. I guess they went out of business?

These stores do carry corn gluten meal, but it's the expensive type that is labeled for weed control.
    1. Pike's - $30 for 25 lbs
    2. Standard Feed and Seed (on Brannen) - $37 for 25 lbs.

These stores do not carry corn gluten meal. Maybe it is a seasonal issue.
    1. Cooper Seeds
    2. Backyard Feed and Seed
    3. North Fulton Feed and Seed
    4. My local Ace store.

I found this interesting website that lists feed stores for horses. You would think that horse owners would buy the cheaper version and not the bags that are labeled for weed control. And don't horses eat all year round? I'll start calling these when I find the time.

http://www.polocenter.com/health/feedusga.htm

• e_beacham
    13 years ago

Spent most of the afternoon looking for corn gluten meal. Only found it @ TC Farm Inc in Canton,GA but was $37 for 25#. Anyone else found a local (Marietta, GA) source? edwarddotbeachamatgmaildotcom.

• mairenn
    13 years ago

I'm out in Monroe - going Athens-way - and nobody here sells it, but all the stores I talked to (big box AND mom and pop) said they could order it in for me, so try sweet-talking your favorite local suppliers.

using the "wrong" one will still help...and it is still a great fertilizer.

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

Its at Lowes in my neighborhood, however whatever their brand is, is totally not working for me. The stuff from the feed store worked very well, this "branded" stuff, not so much.

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21