Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
georgiagirl_gw

Tired of this weed

georgiagirl
16 years ago

Every year beginning in late summer, I get this weed that looks like small Mimosa trees. I believe the seeds must get in my pots and beds from the potting mix I use, although the brand I use says it is weed free. Any ideas of what it might be?

Comments (8)

• Iris GW
    16 years ago

Could be chamberbitter, Phyllanthus urinaria:

or it could be Partridgepea, Cassia fasciculata, which create pea like seed pods:

• razorback33
    16 years ago

Partridge Pea, also called Senna, is an Annual. but is an important food source for birds. So, now you know how it arrived in your garden! It prefers loose, sandy soil, so potting mix and ammended garden soil is ideal, but I find them everywhere, even in well travelled paths and cracks in the walkways and driveway. Some people plant it to attract birds, especially Quail, to their property. I suspect that all aren't solely interested in Birding!
    Rb

• georgiagirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The Chamberbitter picture looks like what I have. I have seen it growing along roadways as tall as 5ft. There seems to be something like spores beneat the leaves near the stems. I pull them when they are quite small out of my flower beds, but the next week, they are back again. They are a curse.

• buford
    16 years ago

Yeah, I mostly pull them out. A nuisance.

• satellitehead
    16 years ago

i have been regularly pulling chamberbitter out of my yard. actually, on one of the Gardening in Georgia shows over the past couple of weeks, Walter Reeves talked about this weed. On the underside, if they get large enough, you'll see small seed pods. i think it's quite important to mechanically remove the weed before those mature and drop (they're everywhere on the underside of the stem/leaves)

• mschwartz
    16 years ago

Oh,I thought it WAS baby mimosa and potted one up hoping to plant later in a different spot.It had a rather long taproot tho so don't know if it will survive.I just thought since there is a large mimosa nearby that it reseeds itself.How can I tell the difference?

• Iris GW
    16 years ago

Large mimosas nearby DO reseed themselves - frequently. Baby trees should have a slightly woody stem. And the plant would be a lot bigger than these weeds. The leaves are these weeds are not much bigger than one of those baby carrots you buy in a bag at the store.

By the way, please reconsider helping mimosas further spread themselves. I know most people think it's too late to shut the barn door on these invasive trees, but I say let's not help them out any, especially in Georgia.

• satellitehead
    16 years ago

mschwartz, chamberbitter is also known as 'mimosa weed', 'gripe weed' and 'cannonball weed'. i suppose it could be related to the invasive mimosa trees, but the seed pods look nothing alike and don't share the same characteristics in my opinion.

i believe the mimosa tree tends to have a reddish color to the stem when it is still a seedling (before it roughens up and gets barky), and mimosa weed just has a light colored stem. the dead giveaway for mimosa weed in particular is the seed pods under the leaves. Pictures of this and more info on mimosa weed can be found at the link I've included below.

Here is a link that might be useful: ACES.EDU webpage on chamberbitter

Sponsored