Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
girlgroupgirl

Ruby Loropetalum

girlgroupgirl
15 years ago

Hey All:

Anyone grow the cultivar "RUBY" or any dwarf form of Loropetalum that stays low?

I need some low growers, preferably with purple foliage for a new foundation bed area. I'm mixing pink flowering shrubs with fall color and trying to get lots of evergreen.

Thanks,

GGG

Comments (5)

• mk87
    15 years ago

GGG -- I actually have just used the "Purple Pixie" dwarf variety in those planters I just filled for that friend of mine. It is my favorite thing in those planters! (And, I'm not a big loropetalum fan, usually!)

• mayland
    15 years ago

Hi GGG,

I've got Purple Pixie, which grows 1-2' tall and 3-4' wide. Its supposed to stay very purple (mine has so far, and its been in full sun since I planted it in spring). I like it so much I just bought another one.

I've also got Purple Diamond, which is supposed to be "the first loropetalum with leaves that are purple all the way through, on both the top and underside of the leaves." It gets 4-5' tall. I planted it only a week ago, so I can't comment on how purple it will stay.

I got both of these at Lowes (Edgewood) recently.

I think Plum Delight is another mid-sized one (4-5').

One of the lower-growing Weigela wine-n-roses series would be good in your bed as well, although not evergreen. Nice purple foliage and very bright pink flowers. The hottest pink flower I have is Spirea "Neon flash", but its neither evergreen nor purple leaved!

• girlgroupgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank-you! I like the pixi, and have seen it at Lowes. I just hadn't been there recently. Spirea will be going in - I am also putting in plants with golden or yellow leaves. I was planning on using a Flying Dragon orange as the whole centerpiece but it will just get too large there. So now I need a different cool looking barby shrub. Maybe a lime green barberry? Need to go do some reserach about their size. I'm looking for a green and purple foliage, pink flowered garden to surround a living burglar deterrant.

GGG

• yomamanem
    15 years ago

Ever Red is compact but it can get about 6 feet. It is fairly new and stays red all season.
    http://www.gardenersconfidence.com/Glowing_Horizons/Variety.aspx?Variety=EverRed

• satellitehead
    15 years ago

GGG, i thought you were talking about sweetspire for a sec there, but i look back now and see it was spirea :D

well, either way - if you think you might be interested, the DW and i are looking at changing up some of our front shrubbery, and a couple fothergilla gardenii will be coming out, along with some native sweetspire. sweetspire has such a great winterpurple color. all of the shrubs will be a whopping 3.5-4' tall and would take special transplant care, but could be very rewarding for your backyard if you wanted some natives to go back there.

we're replacing with evergreens - some variety of mountain laurel that will reach 4-5' tall, still undecided.