Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is a vegetable garden ok over a septc drainfield?

Posted by ascottlynn Georgia (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 2, 08 at 22:30

I'm new here and new to gardening as well. I would like to have a veg garden ready for next spring. My backyard is unsuitable because of shade. My front yard is large and sunny BUT I live outside of city limits in Douglasville, so we have a septic tank with the drain field in the front yard. It's about 4 ft below the surface and runs right through the best area of the front yard. If I do this, I'd put in a raised garden anyway for aesthetic appeal and practicality. Is this workable or just a really bad idea? Thanks, Andy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is a vegetable garden ok over a septc drainfield?

No vegetables put down roots long enough to reach anything from the septic system. Go for it! Even if you have a back-up the plants will probably love it unless it sits too long.

o

Thanks for that. I've been trying to get as much input on this as I can find and so far it's been pretty much what you said. Mine will be the only front yard veg garden in my neighborhood. I'm not going to cover the whole yard and I'll put effort into the overall appearance, so hopefully the neighbors will be ok with it. As for the backyard, I'm seriously thinking about building a hen house and getting 4-6 laying hens, no roosters. Grocery prices are bad and will only get worse, so what the heck. Again, thanks for your input.

o

if you're really worried about it, dig down a couple of feet, and put a plastic liner in.

o

I planted some peas on my drain field this year an they did great an so far no problems. The way I looked at it grass roots are more permanent than annual veggies so surely it would be ok. I'm still picking peas.

o

Have you thought about raised beds with a plastic liner? There are some who worry about chemical or pathogenic contamination of the soil. We are contemplating that option for next spring.

o
Additionally

Adding to my above post:
Our raised beds would be wide spaced and small, so as not to inhibit evaporation of moisture.

Someone elsewhere suggested container gardening, which seems like a good alternative and one we are exploring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here