Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
petalnet

Fertilizing daylilies

petalnet
13 years ago

I'm wondering what you daylily lovers use to fertilize them---this weekend I was told to use turf feritlizer! even with high nitrogen, since "daylilies are a grassy plant". Also, when do you ferilize them?

Comments (7)

• Iris GW
    13 years ago

Perhaps by "turf" fertilizer they meant 10-10-10 which is sold in large bags near all the turf supplies.

10-10-10 is a good all purpose fertilizer that many people use for turf as well as trees and shrubs due to the low cost. Seems like a good choice and is very economical.

If you google "fertilize daylilies" you can find a number of answers. But it would be nice to hear from someone local too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's one

• petalnet
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No, esh, I asked if !0-10-10 was what she meant and the lady said no, actual turf fertilizer. She owns a large daylily farm and is active in the daylily Society so I assume she knows what she's talking about. I think she also mentioned Milorganite.
    Thanks for the link.

• Iris GW
    13 years ago

Well, there are different kinds of turf fertilizer - so that seems confusing, but she does seem like a good source of information, you're right. Milorganite, I can understand. A slow release fertilizer. You can get that at Home Depot.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    13 years ago

I was wondering the same thing. So can you go back and ask her exactly what she is talking about and get the name and then give it to us. lol! I have never fertilized mine but I am sure they would love it. I bought a bag of 10-10-10 today just for that purpose so I will use it and if you get an answer from her then may use that next spring. I have used Milorganite around my roses but not my lilies but I will now. Thanks, Judy

• lrvjim
    13 years ago

Turf fertilizer comes in a myriad of formulations, but I'll bet you dollars to donuts she was talking about a high nitrogen, low phosphorus, controlled release fertilizer. Something like Lesco's 28-0-5 or 32-3-8 for example.

That makes sense if you've got hundreds or thousands of daylilies in large beds or sweeps, but I wouldn't go out and buy a bag just to feed the 50 or so daylilies I've got scattered around my yard.

• caseyf
    13 years ago

Hi,,,Lots of a daylily growers use the lawn fertilizer with high nitrogen. But..Its used in the Spring..not in the fall. (Some actually use ammonium nitrate..I have never odne that) I would use a lower nitrogen fertilizer or something like the 10-10-10 in the fall..Usually I do not fertilize in the fall after first of Sept...but with some I am transplanting..I am using the granular miracle grow in a hose end feeder. I personally do not care to use milorganite in my yard..but thats personal preference and lots of daylily growers use it..I have a well and really just dont trust the ingredients as being safe..plus the smell..SOme folks use it around daylilies as a deer deterent.. I am an American Hemerocallis Society (Daylily) member also and have been a Senior Exhibition judge for 17 yrs..Daylilies are my passion..but I love most all plants..herbs, veggies, heirloom bulbs, gingers etc!
    Happy Gardening
    Casey
    PS>>The Atlanta area has two active Daylily Clubs and also has shows and sales each Spring.

• Patahawk
    10 years ago

I just heard a noted daylily hybridizer speak and he indicated that phosphorus build up can be a problem if you are using fertilizer with the middle number (phosphorus) being too high.
    Daylilies are in the grass family, so treat them like grass.
    Something like 15-5-15, 3-1-2, etc. is better or even no phosphorus at all if you have a build up. A soil test can tell.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting