Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alpharetta_gw

European fruit pears for Atlanta

alpharetta
15 years ago

Talking with my wife today, she asked why I don't have European fruit pears in the back yard. :) I promissed her that we will have 2 in the spring next year.

What are two pears you would recommend for Atlanta area?

Thanks

Alpharetta

Comments (5)

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

I know nothing about growing fruit trees in Atlanta (let alone pears!). You might want to check on the Fruit and Orchards forum for someone else in the South (if not Georgia); Tennessee should have similar climate.

You might also check with Buck Jones nursery in Woodstock to see what kinds of pears they usually order and/or what kind they CAN order.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fruit and Orchards forum

• southwebb
    15 years ago

I have a Moonglow, which produces fairly well. It does occasionally suffer from fireblight even though it is supposed to be resistant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Walter Reeves Pear Info

• lucky_p
    15 years ago

Check out the article linked below.

I like Keiffer(a European X sand pear hybrid), and it's an iron-clad, proven producer in the Southeast, though many folks denigrate it as barely edible, and relegate it to the status of a 'canning' pear; but to me, it's what a pear is supposed to taste like - firm, crisp, juicy, flavorful, and, yes, kind of gritty.
    Douglas, a Keiffer seedling, is supposed to be better, with similar fireblight resistance.
    Pineapple is good, and I've been hearing rave reviews on it this year from a friend in middle TN.
    Warren & Magness are both top quality 'dessert'-type pears, but both are pollen-sterile(also lacking nectar, so they're NOT attractive to pollenators) and I would recommend grafting a branch or two of either into an established tree of some other variety rather than dedicating the space for a free-standing tree of either - because you'll wait decades and get very few fruit if you do.
    Dabney, Mooers, Tenn, Ayers, Hoskins all look good on paper, but mine are too young yet to fruit.
    I've heard that Maxine is a beautiful, yet flavorless, pear.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pears for the Carolinas

• logrock
    15 years ago

Hi all,

I want to revive this thread instead of starting another one on the same topic. I just want to find a good pear tree to replace my Seckel which I think has major fireblight even though the descripttion said it was resistant. It is also very scragly and almost leafless even now (April 17).

Words like "Iron-Clad" or "Trouble Free" make me happy. I have a 4 year old Moonglow right next to the Seckel (planted the same day and received the same treatment) but neither have ever produced fruit. I see the occasional flower. Publix was selling Seckel pears but they were very small with an inedible skin and mushy flesh, so that poor tree is getting replaced next winter.

Should I find a scion of something good and graft it to the bottom of the existing Seckel tree or should I just replace the whole thing with a new tree, roots and all? I also want a semi dwarf so what kind of rootstock should I look for OHxF333 or Quince? And I'm near Dallas GA (a few miles west of Marietta).

I really appreciate any feedback.

-Ron

• satellitehead
    15 years ago

it's important to note that 'resistant' does NOT equate to 'immune'.

Sponsored