Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bacon_wattles

work exchange; seeking GA gardening knowledge first hand

bacon.wattles
12 years ago

I'm interested in engaging in a work exchange (as the worker) on a homestead, and/or on a permaculture-oriented small farm located within Georgia. Organic is a must. My motives are quite simple - I want to experience the place for what it is, learn about the particulars of small-scale cultivation of food and medicine plants in the particular climate and microclimates experienced there, and get to know some people with similar interests. I'm not interested in money, and I feel simply booking a hotel room is extremely unconducive to me attaining my goals. I want to hear the wildlife at night rather than cars streaming by. Knowledge is what I want to spend my time gathering.

While I spent unfortunately little time in Georgia while driving across the continent last year, what I saw of it impressed me. I greatly enjoy rural, natural places, peace, heat and humidity, and quality food. All of these were present, and I still want to experience more of it. I hardly even scratched the surface. I'm considering moving there based on what was seen and want to invest further time towards making that decision as informed as possible. I've lived on a farm for the past 12 years, and before that was around agriculture, horse barns and gardens surrounded by wilderness throughout my childhood. I've raised chickens since I was about 4 or 5, and starting within the last decade, turkeys, ducks, emus and guineas. I've also spent time working to help raise hogs and steers annually for meat here. Aside from very random tidbits of information, I've had to teach myself what I know today through trial and error, and through persistence in seeking out information over the internet, and dredging up mainly old, obscure and hard to find books.

Although winter will be setting in soon, I still view this as a valuable time to learn about the toughest season.

If you've need of an extra set of hands around the garden and have these kinds of knowledge to share, let's talk. Knowing the native plants is a huge plus, also. I want to learn more of the place's indicator plants.

PS; If this is considered to be in the wrong subforum, please accept my apology. I did not feel "exchanges" was appropriate because it was defined as specifically for plant and seed trade.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio