Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using Groundcovers As Mulch

Posted by pam_3 GA 7b (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 4, 09 at 8:06

Since the flood washed away all the mulch in the back 40, I've been thinking of installing something that is made of tougher stuff. I realize that some folks are calling the recent flooding a one hundred year event, but we've had this happen a few times in the 8 years we've been here. So...I'm looking for ideas for groundcovers that could act as mulch. I want something to compete with weeds, but allow for shrubs and perennials to grow. I have part sun (which is closest to our creek), part shade, and mostly shade. It can be pretty moist back there, particularly after a rain. But it does drain. I can always put in some sand or something to help drainage. (For example: I think a low thyme would be great, but I think it may be too moist.) Any ideas?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using Groundcovers As Mulch

I suggest possibly a trip to the Georgia Perimiter Botanical garden. They have damp shady locations, and damp sunny locations - that might be a good help to you.

o

Ajuga or bugle weed as it's also know works great. I've planted it in fully shaded areas where it grows wonderfully. It will grow fine in partial shade as well. I planted some beneath my river birch on a slope and it's held on and started to spread. As its spread I've taken smaller plants from the original and moved them to further protect against erosion. The plant has down well and has great spikes of purple flowers in the spring. All the plants have held their ground during the tons of rain we've had. Reminds me I need to go propagate some more..!

o

I second ajuga. In shady wet spots it does wonders, and multiplies very well. Easy to transplant, too.
~Natalie

o

Can you plant it alongside perennials? Without fear of it taking over?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here