Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Your oak is diseased, $1K for me to remove'

Posted by nyc_sod z7 Marietta (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 7, 10 at 11:30

So I get a call from a neighbor who is having some trees removed from her property. The tree company is looking for more business while they are in the neighborhood so they offer "discounts" to neighbors. Unsolicited, they call me (left a message) to inform me that the oak tree in my front yard is diseased and needs to be removed. They offer a discount of $1k with stump grinding.

They don't tell me what type of disease my tree has. Just that it is dying. I go their web site and they are not even certified arborist. Needless to say these folks will not ever get my business. Hopefully, there are people out there that will get second opinions before having a specimen tree removed at the insistence of an sham tree company.

I looked up oak wilt and don't believe my tree is affected. There are several branches that have brown leaves but they are not browning as oak wilt is described. In any case, I have a respected arborist scheduled to see my oak.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Your oak is diseased, $1K for me to remove'

I had this same issue but it did turn out that my white oak tree had a fungus that runs rampant to all white oak trees in the area. Certified arborists called in for a second opinion was smart. I hated to let it go but was glad I did. When I got home after they removed the tree, the core was rotted about 3 feet in diameter. It was a mere countdown to when a storm would take that tree down.

o

Yes, good for you for getting a second opinion - and for not making a snap decision.

o

I met with an arborist today. Turns out it is just drought stress. He gave some recommendations on watering and monitoring the tree next spring.

Thank goodness we have honest businesses out there that care about trees more than their wallets!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here