Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dwarf Crape Myrtle???

Posted by emilytwinmom none (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 19, 11 at 11:44

We live in north GA. Bought our house five years ago, and there were five sorry little shrubs in the middle of the front lawn all alone. I mean five leaves on each one sorry. I mulched them in, watered them regularly, and the second summer they suddenly had leaves and turned out to be pink crape myrtles! I transplanted them to a more protected spot (they were originally just stuck in the clay with no soil prep or room to grow), and they have happily bloomed for three years now. However, they are not getting any taller, and only a bit more full. They are about two feet tall. I have no clue how to trim them, I'm guessing I should trim in jan/feb correct? I would love it if anyone could shed some light on these little plants!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dwarf Crape Myrtle???

You don't have to trim them at all - they only ever need to be trimmed for size considerations and sounds like that is not necessary here. 'Pocomoke' is a dwarf pink one.

o
RE: Dwarf Crape Myrtle???

I'm not sure what "soil prep" means. It could be a good thing (properly dug planting hole, loosening up compacted soil, etc) or a bad thing (amending backfill soil, improper fertilization, etc).

Only prune dead, diseased, rubbing, or damaged limbs. You can remove unwanted trunks (root suckers) at ground level (or below). It's best to remove them by pulling them off of the root system when they are very small (and can be pulled). This tends to discourage regrowth, to some degree. Never commit crape murder though!

In addition to 'Pocomoke', some dwarf pinkish crape cultivars include 'Chica Pink', 'Chickasaw', 'Delta Blush', 'Ozark Spring', and 'Pink Blush'. There are also quite a few that don't get a lot larger than the dwarf ones and some that are more reddish or purplish, but are still somewhat pinkish looking.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here