Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbs2187

New to gardening...what to do with hybiscus

barbs2187
13 years ago

Hi all. I am new to gardening and new to this site. We purchased our first home in the spring and I've started my first flower gardens, veggie gardens, etc..

I found on the internet how to get my roses ready for winter but I can't find anything on my Hybiscus..Does anyone know what I need to do to prepare them for winter.

I live in the Canton area if this helps!

Thanks so much and I look forward to getting to know you all :o)

Comments (4)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

Barbs,

We need to know what species (or type) of hibiscus you have. Species like Hibiscus syriacus (rose-of-Sharon, althea, etc) or Hibiscus moscheutos (swamp mallow, rose mallow, etc) should be completely hardy anywhere in GA, and wouldn't require anything other than maybe a general garden cleanup to remove spent debris. Tender species, like Hibiscus tiliaceus (Sea rosemallow, cottonwood hibiscus, etc), would have to be brought inside. Some species are borderline hardy, and might require a mulch cover or some other type of protection. Do you know which hibiscus you have?

• barbs2187
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you so much for your help.
    I saved the cards. I have 4 Painted Lady Hibiscus..
    underneath that name is "Hibiscus rosa-sinensis.
    I hope I don't have to bring them inside as I planted all 4 of them in the ground. They are about 4-5 feet tall.

When you say some are hardy does that mean I need to cut them down and mulch...or just mulch? Sorry I sound stupid..I am clueless :o)...
    But...I'm learning! :o)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

Unless you have them planted in a very warm microclimate (like up against a south-west facing brick wall in very well draining soil), my guess is that they won't survive without quite a bit of protection. Hibiscus rosa-sinensis 'Painted Lady' is generally reported hardy only to zone 9. Canton GA is in the 7b/8a range. Your winters probably get at least 10 degrees too cold, on average, for that plant. That said, sometimes plants don't follow the rules (our expectations).

If your 'Painted Lady' hibiscuses are planted in a more exposed area, you might try protecting them similarly to the way many overwinter other tropicals, like palms or some bananas. One way is to (immediately after leaf drop) make a cage around the plant, fill the cage with loose straw or other breathable insulative material, and cover to keep rain out.

Removal of stems/branches on hardy hibiscus depends on the type of hibiscus and your aesthetic desire. Woody plants like Hibiscus syriacus should not be cut back for the winter. Perennial herbaceous hibiscuses, like Hibiscus moscheutos, may be cut back for winter, because it will emerge on new stems the following year. One caveat about removing perennial herbaceous stems is that sometimes, and on certain types of plants, leaving the dead stems until the following spring can actually improve hardiness and survivability by making the plant less likely to rot from water getting down into the cut stems and by providing just a tad bit of insulation. I'm unsure if any perennial herbaceous hibiscus would benefit from leaving the dead stems.

• rosajoe_gw
    13 years ago

Living in Central Florida my hibiscus would die down in the winter. Most would come back if it was an older plant.
    Moved to SE Georgia (close to Savannah) and I planted my hibiscus in pots to move them in if the weather gets bad.
    Last winter would have killed all of them for sure LOL!!
    Remember that the lovely hibiscus are tropical plants. The good news is that they are extremely easy to propagate!!!! Start your new plants now and winter them inside and if you do lose your plants outside you can start over with the new ones in pots.
    The weather channel reports a mild dry winter for us, we shall see.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022