Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Australian Fern

Posted by Amyta z8 mid GA (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 2, 05 at 13:12

What about this in Middle Ga? I want to plant one in a sheltered location with a deck above it. Would it survive our winters with heavy mulching? Maybe some kind of clear plastic covering simulating a greenhouse? Suggestions anyone?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Australian Fern

It is hardy in shade in Atlanta.

GGG

o

It depends on which Australian fern you are referring to.
Dryopteris x australis is a wood fern and will survive in Ga.
Cyathera cooperi is an Australian tree fern and is rated zone 9 and above.
Nephrolepis obliterata is an Australian sword fern and is commonly grown as a house plant. It is rated zone 9-10.
There may be others by this name. That is why it is important to use botanical names.
Try looking up images and see which one you have.

o

• Posted by Amyta z8 mid GA (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 5, 05 at 16:59

I realize now that I didn't put the correct name. Thanks. I have an Australian Tree Fern. I know that it's zone 9 but just wondered if I could rig it somehow to survive outside planted in the ground and given special treatment.

o

Australian Tree Fern is hardy in downtown Atlanta in my neighbourhood. It does best here in shade and in a low lying area for protection.

GGG

o

I have a Sphaeropteris Cooperi (Alsophila A.) tree fern. Will it be OK in moist shade in Stone Mountain, or should I keep it in a pot and move inside in winter? I bought it inexpensively at Home Depot recently.

o

• Posted by amyta z8 mid GA (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 31, 08 at 14:30

I made the original post back in '05. I planted the fern in a sheltered location as described in that post. It has survived two winters and looks great every summer. The top dies back during winter and comes back in summer. One winter I made a covering of plastic hoping it would stay green all year but that made no difference. I tried one many years ago in a pot inside but it just isn't moist enough in most homes and I just couldn't keep misting it enough. I'm very satisfied with mine in the ground.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here