Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Advice on extra strawberry plants

Posted by squirrellypete z7b GA (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 24, 12 at 14:15

Hey all, long time no post.

I've been growing some old store-bought Quinalts for years in my older veggie garden. This Spring I decided to make some new strawberry beds and buy some different bareroot varieties online, Chandler and Annapolis. I am absolutely ASTOUNDED at how the Annapolis exploded. I started with only a dozen pathetic looking bareroot plants in this one bed and now 7 months later there are hundreds in just one season. I actually ended up with a double order due to a mix-up on the online company's end so the extra bareroots went into a monster-sized bed at my father-in-laws. I can't even guess at how many are in his now which I am also taking care of, thousands??. I wish I were kidding.

Anyway, they are vastly outgrowing the bed, into the aisles and invading the bed of the nearby Chandler strawberries so something has to be done now. I hate doing a hatchet job on so many healthy looking plants in the aisle but have no need or interest at this time in making a new bed to move them to, that would be an endless cycle.

I'll be glad to give extras to any family or gardening friends that want them but I was also looking for advice about selling them either now or next year. Namely, what do I do with these plants in the meantime. Should I pot them up individually now for sale in the Spring? That would be ALOT of potted plants. Do I dig em' up and pot them in big bundles to get them through the winter? Do they need to overwinter in the ground? I have literally done nothing with my old Quinalts but stick them in the clay and leave them be so I have no real experience with potting strawberries or worrying about overwintering, let alone how/when to sell them? I'd love some advice. I have alot of potted Perennial shrubs and daylilies I was going to try to sell for the first time in the Spring but the Strawberries might just outnumber them lol.

I'm in Alabama about 8 miles across the state line on I-20. If any of you need strawberry plants I'll be glad to share.

Danielle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Advice on extra strawberry plants

Hey squirrelly girly! Go ahead and pot your plants up now and then just overwinter outside. I water them when they are dry, once every few days in the winter. Been dividing and overwintering for years. Then I've been replanting in my yard, but you can surely try and sell them. Quinalt are a big seller at Holy Comforter. Our prices have varied depending on how many plants we have...if we have bucketloads I'll run a special discount, and even greater savings if you buy a whole flat. You could go ahead and pot up groups of plants in a large pot - which is also helpful to you. You'll eventually need to take out the mother plants and plant her babies. I find this is easiest by taking out the babies, potting them, clearing out the entire bed of old berries and re-planting new ones. I find the babies tend to want to start on the outreaches of the bed, so it works well for me. Even better, when the babies start forming (I have very narrow beds so this works) I fill some window boxes with soil, and use begs made from wire hangers to pin the babies into the window boxes along side the strawberry beds. I've had some great harvests of both baby plants and berries!

o
RE: Advice on extra strawberry plants

Hey Glynis! Feels like ages since I've visited Gardenweb. Thank you for the helpful information, guess I'll start potting!

My mom was JUST asking me if I was planning to attend the Fall Swap this year 'cause she'd like to go. I've been so busy with life stuff that I haven't been checking in with my friends in the Georgia and Alabama forums. Looks like we missed both Fall swaps, bummer =( . Oh well, we'll just have to start planning for Spring! 3 guesses as to what I'll be bringing lol.

Danielle

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here