Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
squirrellypete

Advice on extra strawberry plants

squirrellypete
11 years ago

Hey all, long time no post.

I've been growing some old store-bought Quinalts for years in my older veggie garden. This Spring I decided to make some new strawberry beds and buy some different bareroot varieties online, Chandler and Annapolis. I am absolutely ASTOUNDED at how the Annapolis exploded. I started with only a dozen pathetic looking bareroot plants in this one bed and now 7 months later there are hundreds in just one season. I actually ended up with a double order due to a mix-up on the online company's end so the extra bareroots went into a monster-sized bed at my father-in-laws. I can't even guess at how many are in his now which I am also taking care of, thousands??. I wish I were kidding.

Anyway, they are vastly outgrowing the bed, into the aisles and invading the bed of the nearby Chandler strawberries so something has to be done now. I hate doing a hatchet job on so many healthy looking plants in the aisle but have no need or interest at this time in making a new bed to move them to, that would be an endless cycle.

I'll be glad to give extras to any family or gardening friends that want them but I was also looking for advice about selling them either now or next year. Namely, what do I do with these plants in the meantime. Should I pot them up individually now for sale in the Spring? That would be ALOT of potted plants. Do I dig em' up and pot them in big bundles to get them through the winter? Do they need to overwinter in the ground? I have literally done nothing with my old Quinalts but stick them in the clay and leave them be so I have no real experience with potting strawberries or worrying about overwintering, let alone how/when to sell them? I'd love some advice. I have alot of potted Perennial shrubs and daylilies I was going to try to sell for the first time in the Spring but the Strawberries might just outnumber them lol.

I'm in Alabama about 8 miles across the state line on I-20. If any of you need strawberry plants I'll be glad to share.

Danielle

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022