Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
girlgroupgirl

Tree Nurseries close to Atlanta

girlgroupgirl
18 years ago

I need to buy several tall growing (Yoshino or Ben Franklin) Cryptomeria this fall/winter. However, I'd like to narrow down my search for these by asking you folks.

Since I am buying several, I'd like to purchase fairly tall trees at a good price. I have no idea where to go, or whom would have the best price.

Your help would certainly narrow down our driving!

GGG

P.S. I know HD had some, but they were $80.00 for about 5' trees. I'm hoping to do better than that!

THANKS!

Comments (10)

• sugarhill
    18 years ago

There's a huge tree nursery south of Cumming. It's at the intersection of 141 and something. Can't remember the name. Maybe KathyGA knows, or I could drive by there one day this week and find out the name. Don't know anything about their prices, but as far as I can tell all they sell are trees. I'll see if I can check it out tomorrow and find out their cryptomeria prices. How big a tree are you looking for?

• HoneyGum_SugarBush
    18 years ago

Those trees are expensive. I still can't figure out why people are able to mass plant them but I guess they've got the dough. I bought one at a wholesale nursery and I paid more for it than I have seen them for at retail nurseries. The quality is top notch from this nursery so I didn't mind paying a little more. The cheapest I've seen them was at Scottsdale Farms in alpharetta/crabapple. These things are everywhere though. If you're in Atlanta you shouldn't have any trouble finding them at someplace closer.

• girlgroupgirl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, if they build a 4 story house on a hill behind your home, and your nextdoor neighbour is expanding her house to within two or three feet of the property line, you darned well find a way to afford something that is decently fast growing like Cryptomeria Japonica. It's cheaper than moving :)

GGG

• Tricia
    18 years ago

I was out tree shopping today. I didn't look at the cryptomeria re price but I stopped at Autumn Hill, Scottsdale and Buck Jone. All three had what you are looking for. Buck jones was having a Bald&Burlap buy 1 get 1 sale. Which would be great if the Crypto were B&B. Call them to see - they have a website.

• Tricia
    18 years ago

Well I realize neither of my suggsetions are close to ATL, particularly coming from the south side. So sorry but . . .
    Check out Scottdale Farm - also in Alpharetta. I was out there today and the stock was very good looking. Prices were in line with everyone else on most things. They also had some selection that were larger than you usually find at most nurserys.

• HoneyGum_SugarBush
    18 years ago

I agree with snoogie. Scottsdale farms have a selection of hard to find california-ish confiers and specimen shrubs. I still think Cryptomeria is more of a specimen plant than a screen. I think you might be disappointed if you use it as a screen because it's not as opaque as say... a leyland cypress or a nelly r stevens holly or southern magnolia. All of which are less expensive.

• girlgroupgirl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

We can actually go to Scottdale in a few weeks, so that's a great suggestion. Thanks.
    I have a friend who has a cryptomeria and I LOVE it. It completely screens out a narrow area in his yard and it is very healthy and thick. I don't want anything that grows very wide, and I want something that grows fast. Have Leylands and I don't like them. I have a magnolia 'Little Gem' as a counterpoint in the corner of the lot as it shows the gorgeous bronze underside of it's leaf. I'm not a big hollylover although I did keep one or two as "fill" but I really don't like the evergreen hollies as a matter of personal taste.
    I admit to not being a huge tree/large shrub knowledgable person, but I still want something that offers some sort of visual interest as a backdrop. I don't think there is any way to totally screen out the back yard neighbours, but an obscuring of the view would be nice. There are an awful lot of windows on that back wall!!

GGG

• HoneyGum_SugarBush
    18 years ago

Well they certainly are nice trees. I read somewhere that they can be coppiced if they get too big. Meaning you can cut them at the base and they'll sprout right back up again. I don't know how true that is or what effect it will have on the strength of the wood but that's nice to know that if the tree outgrows it's space, you don't have to remove it, just chop it and start from scratch.

• sugarhill
    18 years ago

GGG, checked at the Cumming nursery today. They didn't have cryptomeria - don't know if they sold out or just don't carry it.

• comotion
    15 years ago

GGG,

Sorry to bring up a VERY old thread, but how did this turn out for you? A house was built right next to mine recently, and I'd love to have a screen between us. I was thinking about a Spartan or Spearmint juniper, as I think they both stay somewhat tall and skinny. Just curious if you planted the Cryptomeria or something else...