Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mayland_gw

garden visitor

mayland
15 years ago

I narrowly avoided stepping on this new visitor yesterday, he was quite well hidden in the pine straw:

My 4-yr old informed me that he is a tortoise, not a turtle. We went out several times to check on him. In the evening, i saw a neighbor's cat trying to swat at him, so we ran outside and my 4- and 2-yr olds both roared like tigers (they are very skilled at this) and scared the cat away.

By dark, the tortoise had burrowed under the pine straw. We hope he stays around for a while.

Comments (9)

• pam_3
    15 years ago

Fun! I especially like the part when the kids roared like tigers to scare the cat. Sounds like something that we'd do here.

• mk87
    15 years ago

I love it!!!

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

That is a sign of a healthy environment. Good job!!

• bevinga
    15 years ago

Awwwwww...he's really cute! Your story reminds me of when my boys were little and found a turtle/tortoise friend in the yard.

Thanks!
    Beverly

• GAAlan
    15 years ago

I always enjoy seeing turtles and/or tortoises.

I'll never forget an encounter with a snapping turtle years back. I was just pulling into the driveway and stopped at the mailbox. As soon as I put my feet on the ground I looked down and there is a huge snapping turtle inches from the driver side front tire. If I'd rolled forward another 6 inches I would have hit him. I recall trying to get him out of the way and reaching for the back of his shell to move him. I've never seen a turtle that big move so fast!! I still don't know it ended up there or where it went after, but it was a very memorable experience.

• mayland
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, the turtle/tortoise (I'm still not sure what to call it!) has been with us almost a week now, so he seems to like it here.

He sleeps in the pine straw under a holly bush (is that just chance, or does he know that the cats are less likely to get him there?). In the daytime he basks in the sun.

Gaalan, I'm glad this one isn't a snapping turtle! My kids have been "feeding" him grass and they would be very surprised to be snapped at!

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

Mayland, favorite foods for the ones at my house are tomato and canteloupe.

• vroomp
    15 years ago

What you have there is an Eastern Box Turtle(Terrapene carolina) and from the looks of it, it is female(they have a more curved shell top and browner eyes). You must have some woods nearby as I did when growing up. One of their favorite foods is Worms but, like most omnivores, they will eat almost anything edible. I used to keep several when I was young and fed them night crawlers from the local fish bait shop. It will no doubt burrow soon and you won't see her again until spring.

• mayland
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Vroomp, thanks so much for the identification! She is still out and about in the daytime. Yes, we do live in quite a wooded area but have a more open lot (with less ivy) than the neighbors, so I guess she can find some sunny spots.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz