Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Alternative to indian hawthorne for shade?

Posted by katy_bug z7 GA (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 29, 09 at 16:37

Finally redoing some of my garden beds this weekend and I want to replace some old ratty azaleas with a small round shrub. I was thinking of indian hawthorn but I am afraid the spot does not get enough sun. It gets about 4 hours of morning sun then the house shades it for the rest of the day. What will tolerate shade and grows in a similar size and shape to the compact indian hawthorn?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Alternative to indian hawthorne for shade?

If you are in the Atlanta area, or southward you might try wheeler's dwarf pittosporum.

o

Thanks GGG, that looks interesting. I am over in Athens.

I did a quick google search and it says it is only winter hardy in zones 8-10.

o

I have some cleyera's in shade and although theoretically they will get big, they have been the same size now for almost 9 years so I wouldn't think they would take much to keep them small. They are very attractive, btw.

o

So here are pictures . . .
I am beginning to think this space might be to small for any shade loving shrub. What do you think?

Maybe a small perennial border? Any suggestions?

From Yard

From Yard

o

How about Sweetbox, Sarcococca sp.?

o

It is winter hardy for me here, but in Athens you'd probably be gambling a bit.
Hard to find, but there are dwarf camellias too. There is also a dwarf wax myrtle, and there are very low growing Yews. Some folks here have the Yew and it is very dark green, I like the contrast of the foliage type with other rounded shapes. It is not in itself rounded at all - but the contrast of shape could be interesting in your location. Often goes by the name Scott's Yew.

o

How about Winter Daphne? The one that is most available has some variegation on the leaves, which would be nice against the green leaves behind.

Or if you don't want shrubs, you could look at some evergreen ferns, or a combination of tiarella/heucheras - they are mostly evergreen here and form nice rounded clumps and you can get some fun leaf colors.

o

if you are not ruling out azaleas entirely, the 'gumpo' azaleas in pink or white flowers are nice, compact, late-bloomers (june-july here). they rarely exceed 2' high x 3' wide, almost like a groundcover.
groundcovers would look good as a border for that bed.
sedums do well for me with a half day of sun. 'ogon' is one of my favorites (evergreen with bright yellow/gold foliage in spring) pairs well with 'blue spruce'. neither of these will exceed 4" in height.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here