Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esh_ga

Hypericum densiflorum

Iris GW
15 years ago

Does anyone have experience with Hypericum densiflorum, Bushy St. John's Wort? I do see that is supposed to be one of the tallest (if not the tallest) of the native St. John's Wort.

Comments (5)

• razorback33
    15 years ago

esh_
    Haven't tried that one. Have you found it in a wild population?
    I am trying to grow H. prolificum, but it is turning out to be difficult. The original one lasted about 5 years and succumbed to a soil-borne fumgus. A selected seedling of that one, lived about the same length of time and same thing happened.
    Several species of fungus in the Fusarium-Verticillium Group have been identified as causing problems for Hypericum. In cultivated fields of Hypericum perforatum in Europe, Anthracnose has become a problem, also.
    I probably have more seedlings around the mother plant, because they are sort of weedy. If not, I'll probably give up trying to grow them.
    Rb

• Iris GW
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No, not a wild population, this is from a nursery. It has a bunch of seeds on it if you want some.

But speaking of wild populations, I did find this one today. Very low growing, I think it is St. Andrew's Cross, Hypericum hypericoides (apparently it used to be Ascyrum hypericoides):

I think I have this in my garden already naturally, but this one just begged for a new home.

• razorback33
    15 years ago

Great looking specimen! Does appear to be St. Andrew's Cross. Did you find it at The Bluff?
    I have only once tried that one. It was sent bareroot from N GA and didn't live.
    There is supposed to be 2 subspecies (some list 3) of H. hypericoides,
    ssp. hypericoides /autonym/
    ssp. multicaule /multi stem/
    and the 3rd one, which is not universally recognized:
    ssp. stragulum /covering, blanket, horse-blanket(ancient)/

The new Flora of the Carolinas, VA & GA (Draft) does not separate it into subspecies, although that may change before publication (If ever, It has been in progress for 14 years!).

Thanks for the seed offer. I probably have as many seed already, as I can care for. I am waiting on the last one's of this year to mature, from a white berried Callicarpa americana. I usually sow about 200 of those, since only a small percentage will produce plants with white berries.
    Also waiting on some yellow Buckeyes to mature and fall off.
    Rb

• Iris GW
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, The Bluff. It was next to a dirt access road, in among fallen trees. Looked like a well drained soil.

I have the PDF of Weakley's Flora - impressive!

Yellow buckeye is one that I don't have. How big does it get? My red buckeyes have released all their nuts now and I potted them up and covered them with chicken wire. Buckeyes are the only reliable plant I can get from seed!!

• razorback33
    15 years ago

esh...
    The yellow Buckeye can grow into a large tree, up to about 80 ft. tall and it's not uncommon for them to attain a height of 50 ft.
    The seed on my young Buckeye dropped yesterday and to my surprise, it is not a yellow Buckeye, as I expected. The seed color and size suggest Bottlebrush, definitely not yellow. Wish I had paid attention to the flower, when it was in bloom.
    Maybe I am better off with a shrub, instead of another tree!
    Rb

Sponsored