Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pansy diseases

Posted by bob_13 z7 GA (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 7, 12 at 17:41

I just bought 20 flats of pansies I plan to plant in the same places I've been planting them for probably ten or more years. I also bought some pansy fertilizer. Instructions on the fertilizer bag say to avoid planting pansies in the same area year after year, because this can result in harmful diseases building up in the soil. I've never had a problem and I don't have any place else to plant them.

Anyone had a problem with diseases like this? I live in the Atlanta area.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pansy diseases

Bob, have no idea why this caution was presented on the fert bag. Commercial landscapers here in Atlanta metro will soon be ripping out their summer beds and replacing with pansies, as they have year after year. I'm sure those beds number in the thousands. That wouldn't be happening if the fert advice was sound.

Twenty flats must put on quite a show!

Rest easy, IMO, Rosie

o

Thanks, Rosie. That was what I thought. I've never bought this particular fertilizer before. The man at the nursery where I bought the pansies was pushing it because it's especially for pansies. Normally I use an ordinary 10-10-10 or Osmocote.

Thanks again.

Bob

o

Everything you ever wanted to know about caring for pansies from UGA Cooperative Extension Service:
http://www.caes.uga.edu/publications/pubDetail.cfm?pk_id=7840

"Avoid using fertilizers containing high amounts of slow-release ammoniacal nitrogen."

The bulletin tells how to prepare the bed; then how to maintain it.

It seems that the diseases may be worse during warm weather, so dig up and replace with other bedding plants before warm weather in the spring to avoid the fungus among us.

Here is a link that might be useful: Success with Pansies in the Winter Landscape: A Guide for Landscape Professionals

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here