Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
squirrellypete

Anyone here ever grown Better Boy Tomatoes from seed (F1 gen)?

squirrellypete
11 years ago

I'm new to the concept of growing hybrid tomatoes like Better Boy (F1 generation) from seed and didn't realize until now that the F1 seeds were available to regular hobby growers. I wanted to give greenhouse tomato growing a try in the future and this peaked my interest since I grow these regularly in my garden(from Spring garden center plant stock) as opposed to trying heirlooms I am unfamiliar with. I will also try some heirloom seeds but wanted to learn more about the F1 hybrids if any of my local hobbiests have grown them from seed.

Thanks for any info.

Danielle

Comments (5)

• riceke
    11 years ago

I've grown them both from seed and planted them into the garden. I'm not sure if you are asking if it is a good variety for greenhouse growing or asking about the process of growing from seed. Have you ever grown tomatoes from seed?

• squirrellypete
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi riceke, thanks for the response.

I have never grown tomatoes from seed (on purpose anyway). I was lurking in the greenhouse forum since my greenhouse is getting close to being put into use and saw this wonderful thread complete with photos on someone's success in growing Better Boys from seed and then training them as vines along a suspended cattle panel in their greenhouse which looks very similar to mine in approximate size, shape, etc...It looked like a real space-saving technique. I have always done well with Better Boys in the garden and just wanted to get some additional takes on growing them from seed, preferably from folks in my neck of the woods.

I have also been conversing with that thread's original poster too and have alot of info to work with. I didn't even know hobby gardeners could grow named market hybrids from seed until I saw her post. Now I'm a little more knowledgeable about F1 and F2 seed generations.

Still would love to hear about anyone else's experiences growing Better Boys from F1 (first generation) seed. Specifically tips on germination rates, success and care of young seedlings. I've grown melons, cukes and some flowers from seed so I'm not a total seed growing noob but I am when it comes to starting toms from seed.

Danielle

• riceke
    11 years ago

http://www.tomatodirt.com/

Danielle...for lack of space here is a good webste that may amswer alot of your questions. Good luck

• yolos - 8a Ga. Brooks
    11 years ago

I grow Better Boy tomatoes (as well as other tomatoes) outside in the garden every year. I used to always buy transplants from a nursery but I have been getting various diseases over the last few years. I decided I did not want anyone else's diseases/pests brought into my garden so last spring I grew my own from seeds. Very quick germination, no problems. I used soil cubes and planted 4 seeds. They all germinated and grew to transplantable size.

• squirrellypete
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the tomatodirt link!

Yolos, your experience with them is very good to hear, I actually found some Better Boy seeds (Ferry-Morse) at Home Depot the other day while looking for something else. I was kinda ssurprised to find them, I just assumed I'd have to order hybrid seeds online but there they were and they're not out of date either. I'm in the process of designing and building my own seed starting light rack in my unused office bathtub lol. Should be a fun project. Once that's assembled I can get going.

Below is the thread I was talking about from the Greenhouse forum for anyone who's interested. I was very impressed.:

Here is a link that might be useful: The Better Boy Experience

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists