Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blakeas

Lantana over winter?

blakeas
15 years ago

Can Lantana survive here in Roswell, GA over winter? Should I cut all the way back to the stem and see?

Comments (17)

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

Definitely don't cut it. It has hollow stems and if you cut it, water can get into the crown and freeze it.

The only lantana that I've had luck with is the pure yellow ('New Gold') and the 'Miss Huff' . But you have to leave it untrimmed until about February (after last chance of frost).

• nwgatreasures
    15 years ago

So when would be the best time to transplant these plants/bushes?

My neighbor has the bright yellow ones and she HATES them because they over take her front bed. She wants something wtih NO MAINTENANCE and wants to get rid of the Lantana. She said that I could have them if I wanted them.

I think they would be beautiful on the front side of my house (which faces south) and needs a striking visual from Spring to Summer.

Our deal is that she will purchase whatever goes in there and I will help her plant it in exchange for me having the Lantana. Best I can tell, she has 5 plants that are over 5 feet wide each.

When do I get it out of the ground and move it to my house?

Dora

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

I would do it in the spring after the planting date. I dig mine up then and move them around. Any nice hunk of root will be fine. They are hard to dig up. They have long thick main roots that, while near the surface, travel several yards beyond the main plant. I have to use a mattock, shovel and saw to dig up a 4' lantana. I always end up pulling it from the ground using all my strength. You won't get any dirt with it. Just a hunk of root and you will probably be able to get several plants from one lantana.

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

Yes, I'd say spring too. Unfortunately your neighbor probably wants to move them soon. You could dig them up, trim the roots and foliage and put them in pots that are stored in the garage for the winter. As long as they are not subject to freezing temperatures.

• buford
    15 years ago

What could be less maintenance than lantana!

I ditto what bumblebeez said. I have lantana (the yellow one) and some I cut back and some I don't. The last two winters it has come back. Some other varieties don't. If the bare branches don't bother you, I'd leave them until spring to ensure a better chance of them coming back.

• nwgatreasures
    15 years ago

Oh, the neighbor isn't in any hurry. What would she have to moan/complain about? LOL

She isn't doing the work, she is only footing the bill for the new Lamb's Ear whenever we do it. She won't mind waiting.

I can't even tell you how relieved I am that it is the spring because I am so far behind in all the things that I want to do this month on our property and had you said now was the best time, I might have cried at adding another obligation to my list. I surely know my husband will be pleased to know that I haven't added something to his list. He does what I ask him because he loves to see me happy but he isn't a gardener at heart. His creativity is in music.

During the past month, we have put in a good 40 hours in our yard.

Dora

• opal52
    15 years ago

Dora, Just a thought. I removed all of the Lambs Ear that I had planted three or four years ago. It spreads and needs digging/replanting every two or so years. It spreads from the center, which dies back and then you have bald spots. Unless you dig up, divide and replant. Other's may have a different experience with it. It is very pretty. But having to dig and replant did not appeal to me. Not my idea of maintenance free.

I love Lantana, and so do the butterflies and hummingbirds. It isn't much trouble to keep it cut back during growing season. Miss Huff and New Gold have made it through several winters with mulching. I wait until spring to hard prune to ground level.

• nwgatreasures
    15 years ago

My Lamb's ear is going on its 3rd year in the same spot. No bald spots yet anywhere. These plants mound and keep getting bigger and bigger. Right now - one set of them is almost 4 feet across. I have 3 grouped together and the plant is massive. People driving by stop and ask me what is that plant.
    I appreciate the heads up about the bald spots, I'll be sure to keep an eye on them. I have divided other ones - just not the bunches that are growing in my front yard at the street.

My other neighbor (not the Lantana lady) gave me several Lamb's Ear plants and I've got them in pots trying to get them in the ground so I don't have to grow them in my garage this winter under plant lights.

Lots to do, so little time. Today was very productive though and I'm tired now.

Dora

• bevinga
    15 years ago

I LOVE LANTANA! When I lived in zone 8, I had white lantana, Miss Huff, and something else with a red/yellow flower...can't remember its name. They came back every year and I was thrilled. Here in zone 7, I've not had luck with it, but I did cut it back the first time I planted. Esh is the one who told me not to cut it back so I bought New Gold this summer and planted, hoping they will make it through this winter.

My question, Esh, is that my experience in the past showed me that lantana is a vigorous grower, even in the first year. Those (white) were not in direct sunlight, but were in a shaded/dappled sunlight area of my yard. The ones I planted this summer are in more of a dappled sunlight area and although they bloomed some, they were not prolific with their blooming, nor did they grow as large as I had experienced in the past. What could be the problem?

Thanks!
    Beverly

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

Bev, lantana needs full sun to do well. Full sun simply means 6 or more hours of direct sun - it can be in the morning or the afternoon (or some of each).

Come spring, think about moving them to a sunnier spot or limbing up the trees in the area to bring in more sun where they are.

• nancybea
    15 years ago

Just to add to the list of hardy lantanas, I live in Athens and of course had to have an Athens Rose. It has grown into a monster. It has come back for the past 6 years and now is about 8-10 feet across. It doesn't get as tall as Miss Huff gets, about 3-4 feet maybe. I have always cut it back in February or early March. It also is a very prolific reseeder. I always have plenty of babies to give away each spring. My New Gold, which I've had about 4 years, doesn't ever have babies.

• bevinga
    15 years ago

Thanks again, Esh_. Unfortunately, I don't have many good areas in my yard with full sun. I have lots of well-established maples, tulip poplars, hickory's, oaks, and some pines, so limbing up would entail a bucket truck and some very brave men (or women) who don't mind great heights! I've had to scrounge for as much sun as possible for my vegatable garden and it is on the best location on my property. I'll see what I can do this spring though, since lantana is one plant I'd love to keep around.

Blessings,
    Beverly

• buc311
    8 years ago

I realize this is an old thread, but I can't seem to fins the answer I'm looking for. I planted some lantana along the north side of a fence line this spring/summer and did not think that once fall hit it would be in the shade...all day. (new to this gardening thing) Will it come back this spring? or is it an annual for me this year? Its the yellow trailing variety: love how it attracts butterflies! zone 9 N FL

• frankielynnsie
    8 years ago

I would think that it will come back for you in zone 9. My yellow comes back in zone 7 on the west side of the house. Does anyone have a reaction to their lantana? The hairs on the stems make me break out and itch. I have to wear gloves to handle it. But it is such a good butterfly plant that I will work with it no matter what.

• gardenfullofswallowtails
    7 years ago

Thinking about trying out Miss Huff next year. Does lantana need good drainage?

• zippity1
    7 years ago

i overwintered my Chapel Hill lantana which is not saying much because i live close to the gulf of mexico (pretty warm here) it looked good until maybe july and when it got heat stress it looked terrible and still does so i'll be pulling it up and replacing it with probably a rose, maybe Mrs BR Cant, that's a big rose and chapel hill took up a lot of space so it'll be a bit of an equal exchange

Sponsored