Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bagsmom_gw

Winter 2012-2013

bagsmom
11 years ago

Hey there everyone! Has anyone heard anything about our winter this year? Do you think we will get snow or ice?

Any plants or critters showing any "old timer's" signs of a wintery winter?

Comments (10)

• rosiew
    11 years ago

BUMPING and also praying this isn't a winter of snow and ice.

Rosie

• neptune25
    11 years ago

I've heard that the expectations for this winter are "fairly close to normal." But truth be told, it is impossible to predict that with any certainty. The safe bet is that our winter should be cooler than last year's, which was the warmest in over 3 decades. :)

• Iris GW
    11 years ago

I heard it was going to be a warm one.

• bagsmom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Isn't it funny how many different ideas are out there? I heard one meteorologist say it won't be warm like last year and that there will be some swings back and forth between warmish and very cold. Also better chances for precip. Depending on the time of the temps and the precip., we could get a little something!

I don't want anything crazy, but I sure do enjoy a day or two that really feels like winter. And one or two snow days off of school would thrill me to no end!

All we can do is wait and see. A friend of mine said her grandmother said when the hollies and other berry-producers make a heavy crop of berries, it is supposed to be a wintery year. Our neighbors' holly bushes are drooping over with berries! Has anyone else seen any old-timey signs of a warm or cool winter?

• rosiew
    11 years ago

Uh oh. Neighbors hollies are about to break from an excessive berry load. Reckon if I go cut off all the berries it won't happen here in Sugar Hill????

• bagsmom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's probably not true anyway!

We have had such a bumper crop of chipmunks this year, I guess I don't want it TOO cold, or they'll all try to move inside!

:)

• neptune25
    11 years ago

Here's Accuweather's winter forecast, FWIW. (It has been notoriously in"accu"rate in the past. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter

• neptune25
    11 years ago

Actually, you can ignore the link I posted above--apparently it's from August. Here's the newer one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Accuweather_Winter_Forecast

• bagsmom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I don't know how to include links, but just read Kirk Mellish's latest blog entry. (WSB tv meterologist.) He says this winter will NOT be warm and uneventful if current indicators hold!
    I hope he's right!

• greyghost61
    11 years ago

Any revised predictions? I know this will be the first christmas that my banana trees haven't died back yet, we are going to get borderline (31 degrees) on christmas eve so my bananas will make it through that.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists