Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Winter 2012-2013

Posted by bagsmom 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 8, 12 at 19:58

Hey there everyone! Has anyone heard anything about our winter this year? Do you think we will get snow or ice?

Any plants or critters showing any "old timer's" signs of a wintery winter?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Winter 2012-2013

BUMPING and also praying this isn't a winter of snow and ice.

Rosie

o

I've heard that the expectations for this winter are "fairly close to normal." But truth be told, it is impossible to predict that with any certainty. The safe bet is that our winter should be cooler than last year's, which was the warmest in over 3 decades. :)

o

I heard it was going to be a warm one.

o

Isn't it funny how many different ideas are out there? I heard one meteorologist say it won't be warm like last year and that there will be some swings back and forth between warmish and very cold. Also better chances for precip. Depending on the time of the temps and the precip., we could get a little something!

I don't want anything crazy, but I sure do enjoy a day or two that really feels like winter. And one or two snow days off of school would thrill me to no end!

All we can do is wait and see. A friend of mine said her grandmother said when the hollies and other berry-producers make a heavy crop of berries, it is supposed to be a wintery year. Our neighbors' holly bushes are drooping over with berries! Has anyone else seen any old-timey signs of a warm or cool winter?

o

Uh oh. Neighbors hollies are about to break from an excessive berry load. Reckon if I go cut off all the berries it won't happen here in Sugar Hill????

o

It's probably not true anyway!

We have had such a bumper crop of chipmunks this year, I guess I don't want it TOO cold, or they'll all try to move inside!

:)

o

Here's Accuweather's winter forecast, FWIW. (It has been notoriously in"accu"rate in the past. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter

o

Actually, you can ignore the link I posted above--apparently it's from August. Here's the newer one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Accuweather_Winter_Forecast

o

I don't know how to include links, but just read Kirk Mellish's latest blog entry. (WSB tv meterologist.) He says this winter will NOT be warm and uneventful if current indicators hold!
I hope he's right!

o

Any revised predictions? I know this will be the first christmas that my banana trees haven't died back yet, we are going to get borderline (31 degrees) on christmas eve so my bananas will make it through that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here