Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gayle710

ideas for fall/winter plants in window boxes

gayle710
15 years ago

Help! I know I'm going to use the old stand-bys -- pansies, kale, cabbages, maybe some snaps. I've got a pretty ivy in each box that is cream and pink with some dark green on the leaves, can't remember the variety.

The scrolled iron boxes are large and they are far enough away from the street that I need plants that will grow 18" - 24" tall and have some major impact with the color. Some boxes are in sun, some in part shade. House is taupe and European. I've got 12 boxes.

Adding a few perennials or small evergreen shrubs in plum or wine color could be okay, but they would need to stay 12"- 18" wide and 18"-24" tall, so that I have room for the seasonal annuals.

Is there anything annual and showy for late fall/winter/early spring that I'm missing? Anything new out there?

Thanks!

Gayle

Comments (9)

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

It seems like snapdragons have become very popular lately and they grow tall. Perhaps someone that has used them can comment on how well they do.

And I am not above sticking a couple of plastic flowers in with the live stuff. Lots of people don't know the difference, especially from the street. The weather is pretty hard on them, though, you usually have to get new ones every year.

• bevinga
    15 years ago

Do snapdragons withstand the cold?

• girlgroupgirl
    15 years ago

The little pixie lorapetalum would work - they stay low,
    mix those with some pansies or violas and Kale with blue and purple foliage, some ivy to trail (many are hardy and don't grow too wild too fast) to trail and it would be so pretty!

• gayle710
    Original Author
    15 years ago

GGG -- great idea! I've googled Loropetalum Little Pixie and don't get anything. I was looking for growth habit and other details. Can you fill me in?

And does anyone know where to get some Little Pixies? I didn't see any at my Pike yesterday.

Bev -- I got some snaps 3 years ago and thought they would just last through the fall, but when I thought I should rip them out, they were perking up and then they bloomed again early spring. The Pike guy said they were probably reseeds, but it was happening on the original plants. I have gotten some volunteers, too, so they do re-seed. I'll let you all know if they continue to live this year. They're in containers in a shelterd area, so maybe that's why they've hung on.

I smelled something fabulous yesterday at the nursery and it turned out to be stock. I've never grown that before, but it's beautiful and the right size. Would that be a good choice for an overwintering annual here?

• mk87
    15 years ago

Gayle -- Technically the name of the shrub is Purple Pixie, I think. It's one of the plants that Southern Living is marketing. Try this link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Southern Living Plant Collection

• gayle710
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Me again. GGG -- I found "Purple Pixie" and think that's what you meant. The height is perfect, but I'm worried about the 3 foot spread for the window boxes. Can it be controlled without damaging it?

Even if it doesn't work in the window boxes, the "Purple Pixie" is perfect for another spot I was trying to figure out, so THANKS!!

• girlgroupgirl
    15 years ago

Nita and I have been discussing this little shrub (yes, Purple Pixie, I forgot it's name last night) and she said that it seems to do fairly well in containers as it does not seem to get as large as it says it will. Or at least not fast at all. So it should be very controlable. It also likes to be so low that planted with the root ball on an angle, it would "Drip" out of the pot. I've had my eye on them at Lowes. They are not cheap. Have tried to get them in where I work but they have not been available to us. I really like them and am considering using them in several places where I need evergreen purple groundcover. I am thinking of alternating them with the decidious "Golden elf" spirea which is equally as tuff and keeps it's lime green color all year - unlike all other spireas I've tried.

GGG

• mayland
    15 years ago

Lowes (Edgewood) has Purple Pixie for $14.95 for 1G. The odd thing is that I bought a couple there a few weeks ago and I am positive I paid about $7 each. All their other Loropetalum varieties are $7ish for a 1Gal. Maybe I just got mistakenly charged the lower price. I want to buy 4 more but I'm reluctant at the higher price! Please post on here if you find them for less :)

I think you could also prune it to size without damaging it if it grew wider than you wanted.

• bevinga
    15 years ago

Gayle...thanks for your reply! I just never knew snapdragons would withstand the cooler temps...I'm gonna have to find some now.

Beverly

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County